Annie Clark
Nick Drake
David Rawlings
Kris Drever
Coxon
Alan Sparhawk
Roddy Frame
Johnny Marr

He used to play in a jazz band every week in my hometown, bloody spoiled rotten we were.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll second that, Zappa was the best. This recording helps to explain why: Steve Vai clearly possesses amazing dexterity and barely breaks a sweat whilst reeling off that torrent of notes, but when Zappa takes over it goes to a whole other level, he’s just so instinctively musical, the sheer creativity as he composes on the spot is breathtaking, it’s not really about technique, it’s the way he takes the listener on a journey. Amazing.

1 Like

Isaacc Brock, no one else sounds like him, his command of pitch hrmonix is orgasmic

2 Likes

I feel dumb for not mentioning him. Kind of like Elliott Smith he gets unfairly penalized in guitarist lists for not being known for solos or riffs.

Marc ribot

John Mclaughlin - yes. His playing on those Miles Davis albums is great.

1 Like

Yeah, Joni’s official website is marvellous - guitar tab, sheet music and playing notes for her back catalogue. Lots of open tunings, unusual chord patterns and shapes. You can see at a glance how she isn’t just playing bog standard accompaniments.

John Martyn’s similar isn’t he - think I remember him saying somewhere he found standard guitar chords boring and had no interest in doing that in his music.

1 Like

I’m sure I read somewhere that Joni was just completely self taught and didn’t realise that the tunings she was using were unusual until other people started to try to play her songs.

She ‘s just amazing, both as a lyricist and a musician. I would put her above all of her 60s peers (including Dylan and The Beatles).

2 Likes

Mike McCready. Fretwanker, yes, but he plays with a tonne of soul and is pretty much 75% of the reason Pearl Jam are still a phenomenal live prospect.

3 Likes