Your gigs of the year 2020.

Gigs obviously stopped around mid-March.

Which ones did you see? Your favourites? Which were you most disappointed in not going ahead?

I saw over 30 bands until lockdown. Some great bands. Here’s my top picks:

1. BBC 6 Music Festival - The Roundhouse With Kate Tempest, Kim Gordon, Anna Meredith, Jehnny Beth, Nadine Shah.
Just a brilliant line up. My last big proper gig before lockdown. The whole show lasted about six or seven hours. I’ve seen Kate Tempest a few times and was sceptical about how she’d be live after her sparse sounding new album but she was terrifically engaging and the whole line up clicked perfectly.

2. Jehnny Beth - Peckham Audio
Her album was average but she remains one hell of a live act. A brilliant gig which was one day before her BBC6 music festival show.

3. Sleater Kinney - Brixton Academy
First band that I’ve seen live in the 90s, 00s, 10s and 20s. The new album was excellent and a departure from their later albums (which I’ve not really enjoyed) but they remain a great band live.

4. Nadine Shah - The Moth Club
Just failed to make my top five albums of the year. Great gig.

5. Alice Boman - Union Chapel
Bought tickets for this after Lana Del Rey cancelled her O2 show. A sublime gig and it worked perfectly at the venue. A hugely underrated album too.

6. Ladytron - Heaven
Seen them many times and that show was one of the best. Reconnected with their latest album too which I’d originally had down as average. Turned out to be a great album; much like the gig.

7. Fightmilk - Paper Dress Vintage
Always great fun live and bring a smile to a cynical grumpy old bloke like me.

8. Big Joanie and Breakup Haircut - The Moth Club
A great double bill. I finally got to see Big Joanie. Between a song they eloquently doubters in the industry why they would make it. They did make it purely because they rock both live and on record. Never heard of Breakup Haircut before and loved them live and their EP.

9. Ash - Rough Trade East
They’re more of a singles band for me than an albums band. I’ve kind of grown up with their music without being a huge fan. I remember seeing them first on Naked City, long forgotten music show with Caitlin Moran and Johnny Vaughan in around 93 or 94. Great songs and a nice bunch of people at the album signing afterwards.

10. Porridge Radio - The Lexington
The album is great but isn’t as angry or as gritty as the band are live. I’ve seen them a few times and they’ve got better each time I’ve seen them.

Ten memorable mentions in no order:

Keeley Forsyth - Pin Ups
Kingmaker (sort of) - The Lexington
The Big Moon - Rough Trade East
Colossal Squid - The Lexington
Shovel & Rope - The Electric Ballroom
Georgia - Rough Trade East
Peggy Sue - Rough Trade East
Poliça - Rough Trade East
Frances Quinlan - The Lexington
Fenne Lily - The Lexington

Taylor Swift at Hyde Park was the one that I was most disappointed in being cancelled. It was obvious in March that it had zero chance of going ahead.
It would likely have been my live act of the year. I loved her album Lover and her concerts at Hyde Park in 2015 and also both her Wembley Stadium shows in 2018.

1 Like

N/A :frowning:

8 Likes

Lol good one

Think I saw Turnstile and thats all I remember

1 Like

Think I only went to 2 this year but they were big thief and Carly Rae Jepsen so the highest average gig quality year of my life

6 Likes

I managed three gigs before Lockdown 1. Ranked accordingly:

1. Carly Rae Jepsen at Brixton Academy. I took my kids. It was their first gig. A truly special night.

2. Sisters of Mercy at Albert Hall, Manchester. A whole weekend away with Mrs W just before lockdown. Lots of eating, drinking and walking. Topped off with a hypnotic performance in a really lovely venue.

3. The Moth Gatherer. Post-metal heaviness at 229 The Venue (with @UncleRetrospective). This band are not well known enough. The latest album is brilliant. The gig matched it.

3 Likes

Sleater-Kinney in Feb was an absolute riot

2 Likes

Only saw Robert Henke, Pye Corner Audio and Jessy Lanza. All amazing shows.

2 Likes

Big Thief at Rock City is the only proper gig I went to

Really enjoyed the low steams though, as much as gigs

1 Like

I only made it to one, which was Birds In Row and Alcest. Luckily it was good. That’ll be the fewest gigs I’ve been to in a year since 1989.

Biggest regret is missing festivals, especially Bearded Theory. It’s normally my favourite weekend of the year anyway, but with Flaming Lips and Patti Smith headlining it would have been a real winner. And the subheadliner on the Sunday would have been Toots And The Maytals. I’d never seen him, was really looking forward to it, and now I never will.

It was. One of the best times I’ve seen them and I think I must have seen them around 15 times now.

Celtic Connections came good this year:

• Duo Ruut: I went on holiday to Estonia in 2019 so kept an eye out for Estonian music. These guys were awesome. Two women playing the same custom-made zither. As good as I hoped they’d be.

• Anais Mitchell’s Campfire Sessions: Bonny Light Horseman, Kris Drever, Rozi Plain and Sam Amidon. All kinds of lovely. 2.5 hours and still felt incredibly short.

• Sväng: A FINNISH HARMONICA QUARTET. They ruled. I want a bass harmonica (looks like a printer cartridge).

Randolph’s Leap anniversary gig at Sneaky Pete’s, Edinburgh. Top feelgood entertainment.

…Trail of Dead at The Mash House, Edinburgh. It hurt in a good way.

Spanish Love Songs - SWX, Bristol
Carly Rae Jepsen - Brixton Academy
Carly Rae Jepsen - La Medaleine, Brussels
Georgia - Brixton Academy
The 1975 - The O2
Mannequin Pussy - SWX
The Menzingers - SWX
Ditz - The Lexington, London.

Can’t believe Carly Rae Jepsen at a Brixton was this year.

3 Likes

Only two gigs but both excellent so pretty happy with that hit rate.

Georgia @ Clwb Ifor Bach, Cardiff
Angel Olsen @ SWX, Bristol

It feels like it was ages ago.

Only got to 2 gigs this year.
One was brilliant - Explosions In The Sky with support from AA Williams and the other was proper proper shit and real “the emperor has no clothes” realisation - Black Midi

I associate both the Pye Corner Audio and Jessy Lanza shows with this new age we’re currently experiencing as they took place within a couple of weeks of the first lockdown, so they don’t feel that distant, but the Henke show, back in the depths of January, feels like it could have taken place 3 years ago or something.

I only went to one gig unfortunately. Fortunately that one gig was Angel Olsen.

Manchester Ritz. Ace.

Only saw Carly Rae Jepsen and Georgia (both supporting CRJ and headlining)

Both were incredibly fun shows