Your music taste goes through a bizarre change when you hit 30

see also: age

I decided to stop working in a record shop at the age of 30 after working there for 7 years. Crap pay but on reflection a dream job. I figured at the age of 30 if I didn’t go to Uni then I never would. Wish I was still there in ways but 30 does feel like a pressure age to be an adult, etc, blah, blah.

Most of my friends couldn’t name a single band that came out in the past 20 years and use that fact as the centerpiece of their argument that music has been terrible for the past 20 years. How could it be good if they haven’t heard it? They were like that long before they turned 30 but they’ve really doubled down since then and are unwilling to even listen to a ten second clip of anything and automatically mock it just for existing. I guess it’s the first stage of the whole “kids these days” thing.

1 Like

Yes I get this and my ears are open. Probably factual to state most of the seismic movements in music have already happened - and long ago. All great music is Great regardless.

They sound like fun

This is such a shame. So much good new music out there if you’re willing to look for it. I guess some people don’t care enough to look for it though and are happy to listen to stuff they know they like. I love trying to find new music.

1 Like

Most of my friends still seek out new music, but there is definitely a group of people in my age group for whom music stopped at pearl jam and rage against the machine, I don’t know how this group has fared post Spotify, but they were definitely a thing last decade

Also in my late twenties, I’m def open to weirder stuff than I was before, I reckon

Edit: I’m talking about music here btw

2 Likes

Not sure that the genuine societal oddballs who frequent the Music Board of mildly popular website Drowned In Sounds are the best data set for this tbh tbf…

6 Likes

turned 29 in March

the last 4 gigs i’ve been to have all been in the top 10 gigs i’ve ever been to, pretty incredible that is

2 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed with friends who’ve hit the largely giving up on new music stage of life (usually conicides with having children) is they’ve started to embrace Spotify playlists. Seems to act as background in the way radio (or even TV for some people) used to act. So maybe playlists do channel listening but weirdly I’d guess it is actually broadening the general listening of most of these people - they are still into music it’s just life has got in the way so the playlist thing actually works as a middle ground.

2 Likes