Your top 10 fav films

Cool Runnings.

2 Likes

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?

2 Likes

Number twelve on my list. Disney never made a better film.

1 Like

Satantango

1 Like

As sexybum says but it’s been a while. I know it too well tbh

1 Like

Again, another person lists a film (this would make it around 40 now!) That could be in my “top 10”

The assassination of Jesse James is absolutely amazing :+1:

2 Likes

Check out “apostle” (2018) could be your bag.

The director is a Welsh guy called Gareth Evans, and he was responsible for the 2 raid films! Asian action films! Then did this really mental horror film. Interesting director.

Apostle was pretty intense for me, as I’m not a huge horror guy. There was one scene in particular that had my toes curling! It’s got Michael sheen in it.

You must also have seen the VVitch, which has been discussed here?

2 Likes

I absolutely adore Napoleon dynamite. Its definitely very funny, but I honestly think it’s underrated as like an “emotional” film. His relationship with his friends, the love interest, his brother, the vague melancholy in the background, the satisfying but minimal ending.

I really do think it’s a brilliant and lovely film.

1 Like

Would truly love to see the four-hour cut of Jesse James that Roger Deakins has talked about one day

2 Likes

Woah! That’s quite a commitment.

Without wanting to sound wanky, I remember it being a very “meditative” experience watching it; I properly sank into it. So a 4hr edit could defo work.

It does feel like a “one watch” to me, that film. But I say that too often, I think. Need to go back and watch more great films a second time…

I’ve seen it so many times - I even have it twice on Blu Ray for some reason - but yeah meditative is definitely a good way of putting it.

Got some prints for my new flat the other day and had to get a Jess James one obviously :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Uncut Gems one looks pretty good.

1 Like

Have the same feeling about it being a “one watch”. My first was when The Prince Charles Cinema re-ran it on/around the 10 year anniversary.

1 Like

Fair. Nice to see it there :+1:

Like i said though, i “one watch” too many things. And the first watch, even if you enjoy it, can be clouded by so many things. Watching again can be a “new” experience, in many ways…

Having said that, the counter is, I have like 20-30 tabs saved, plus a list of over 100, of films i want to watch for the first time!

So it is what it is…

1 Like

You also have Uncle Rico who is a genuinely tragic figure given his fixation with the past and how he’d do things differently. NP being the kind of film that it is, this does result with him buying a time machine though…

1 Like

Did always think that they could have done a sequel where Uncle Rico finally finds a time machine that works and ends up back in '82

1 Like

Instead they went for the awful animated series

Definitely on the “doesn’t exist” list

1 Like

10 is really hard. Did one per director to make it easier, but meant that Dead Man, In The Mood for Love and The New World were out which doesn’t seem right.

Heat
The Wailing
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Chunking Express
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
Melancholia
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
The Thin Red Line
King Of New York

Few others

Silence Of The Lambs
WALL-E
Robocop
Groundhog Day
Sex, Lies and Videotape
Working Girls
Mad Max: Fury Road

I rented this film and some other horror ones on my 14th birthday and spent the night on the recliner watching them alone in the living room, that bravery has long since deserted me and I’ve never seen it again since but enjoyed it a lot at the time! I also asked for a scanner as my gift (for my digital art)

1 Like