Youtube Vloggers

Apparently, these people are heroes to your average 14 year old, so share your thoughts on such people as Louise Pentland, Tanya Burr & Jim Chapman. If you don’t know who these people are, go and subject yourself to a few minutes of their inane ramblings and report back.

No thank you

Every so often, there’s a line drawn between your generation and the next one, where they have a thing that you’ll never understand, so there’s no point trying.

Youtubers are such a thing.

we know, dad

I’d try to be balanced on it. Obviously some of these kids are using their brains to earn lots of money…but i can’t get past the narcissism it must take to film yourself giving tedious opinions about bollocks. I read my posts back on here sometimes and cringe, imagine if they were videos of my spud head talking drivel.

I particularly don’t like how TV are so eager to try to integrate the opinions of the general public into coverage. It’s free content. I want to hear opinions of pundits, want to learn something, not hear some fucking cockney randomer’s take on the matter.

Trying to think about it logically, though, there’s no difference between being a vlogger and, say, pretending being in a band’s a proper job. So long as you’re covering your bills or it’s fulfilling you or making you happy perhaps we should be a bit less judgemental.

you’re vlogging a dead horse, m9

most of it doesn’t appeal to me but i think kids watching stuff that they actually relate to instead of what some boffin at the BBC thinks they *should* watch isn’t really a bad thing

I like some travel vogs, even though it irritates me that they’re getting paid to go be a nuisance in Thailand while I’m stuck on my arse here.

Hate the affected vlogger voice. Almost but not quite as much as I hate the American podcast voice

Like anything, they range from really smart and useful contributors to society to money grabbing fucks with zero conscience at all.

I’m not sure what this shit is, but there are some youtube channels I really like.

Strip Panel Naked is an amazing channel with monthly updates on comics analysis, is that a vlog? Am I hip to the hot trends?

“I’ve come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:

1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
  2. Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
  3. Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”

Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

It’s part of an odd trend on the internet where people seem to be begging for money through Paypal or Patreon for putting out any old “content”.

A Vlog is basically a person speaking into the camera about a subject, maybe with occasional cutaways… video equivalent of a blogpost.

Lots of YouTube channels do other stuff that aren’t vlogs, the one you mention looks at a glance like it’s one of them.

CBA to look for it, but I remember a meme or something along the lines of:

Me: I wonder how I get past this puzzle on this computer game I’m enjoying. I’ll check youtube
Youtube: Hey guys, you’re here with Easy-P on the GamesNinjas channel! If you like what you see, click that subscribe button! Today we’ll be coming atcha with a look at the puzzles in…
Me: Fuck it, I’ll figure it out myself.

Desus and Mero are great. is that a vlog though? idk m8

i’ve had to watch quite a few vlogs recently for work. don’t get it at all.

I like watching videos where russians beat each other up. Not sure if they’re vlogs.

Theres a horrible trend for people to have conversations with themselves now answering questions that no-ones asked and it gets on my tits. Thats a youtube thing.

I think Louise Pentland is probably the ‘least bad’ of them. Think she tried to do some more grown up videos at some point but she’s still just covertly selling stuff to kids afaik. I feel like parents using their kids for content is BAD anyway. Jim is GQ man of the year runner up material and Tanya burr is ridiculously infantilised. With no ability in the thing she’s famous for (got famous cause her sisters are makeup artists, but she targeted kids in a way that they responded to I guess). They’re all essentially CBBC presenters except they lie to kids that the product they’re using is one that they really really personally recommend :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:.