Yuppy Shite

And YSC means?

http://disisms.wikia.com/wiki/DiSisms

Well that’s obviously not a thing so not sure where you’re reaching with bringing that up as a popular phrase on this website.

YSC is not a phrase thats used a lot or is a term of endearment and i’d personally prefer if the C word wasn’t used on this site.

1 Like

i think raanraals has made it clear that his solid gold bookcase is very important to him

1 Like

yeah people shouldn’t use the C or T words in this way because it is misogynistic so I apologise for that.

3 Likes

Fair enough also. If you ask me it’s a preferable scenario for the ‘super rich’ to spend more and to disincentivise, say, investing in/hoarding of wealth and assets. The reason being the ‘super rich’ spending money on £8,000 shelving units is more beneficial than them lobbing that £8,000 into property or something. Reason being is that increased consumer spending is more beneficial to an overall economy than saving and what you might call rent seeking - it inspires both investment and a partial redistribution via VAT. This isn’t a perfect, linear system but as a general principle it seems preferable that the wealthy spend their money as opposed to hoarding it.

2 Likes

yeah I’d agree I just don’t think they should have it in the first place.

And that’s fair enough. Although I’ve thought quite a lot about what a society which stops people earning what you might call vast amounts of money would look like (using historical precedents) and… I can’t say I like the look of that at all.

Was out looking at prams for Baby Roussimouff today. Lady Roussimoff wants an Emmaljunga or Bugaboo both clocking in at grand plus. They look alright and I’m sure the quality is better than those at half the cost but can’t help feeling a muggins for paying for parent yuppy cache.

Don’t worry everyone, for those of us with less deep pockets than most Pinch Design customers there is the ex-display section.

Only 2500 quid for a non-descript ex-display wall mirror. Or 275 quid for a very plain ex-display bar stool!

Not sure you get to decide what is or isn’t a thing? A simple search on new DiS or old DiS will bring up many examples of people using either the phrase, or more commonly the abbreviation, and almost always as a term of endearment.

For example:

https://community.drownedinsound.com/search?q=YSC

I’ve just done a search on new DiS to see that it’s used exclusively by the male posters of this forum.

Funny that.

And as someone who posts on here A LOT, to not know that off the top of my head is quite obvious that it’s not a popular thing among all (female including) users. Now I’m aware of it, i’ll keep my eyes peeled. And I will be calling people out on using the C word on this board :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s been used on here for ~5 years, mad that you’ve not noticed it before.

2 Likes

Sorry but why do you have a problem with me finding issue with this?

First of all the phrase looks to have been coined by one of the most misogynistic and widely reckonised as a creepy poster towards women posters on here. Why you’re all using it is beyond me and I have not noticed it at all. Pulling one one post by a woman does not now make it ok.

My issue is with @hip_young_gunslinger saying this is a common phrase of endearment among everyone here (it definitely isn’t) and that means it’s fine to call people c words.

And if you’ve got a problem with me as a woman finding issue with that word being used, that’s even more misogynistic than using the word in the first place!!

Baffled by why you’re challenging me here.

1 Like

Oh christ. I’m out. I think you’re reading far too much into my posts about this. At no point have I given my opinion on whether the word/phrase should be used and I certainly haven’t suggested I have a problem with you ‘finding issue with this’

You: this thing obviously isn’t a thing
Me: it is a thing, here are numerous examples of it going back quite some time

You: well it’s exclusively used by the men on here
Me: here’s an example of a woman using it

Bye.

1 Like

edit:
sorry guys misread the thread title

20 Likes

Oh come off it. You were clearly spoiling for an argument about this by wading in with “not sure where you get to decide” and have now realised you don’t really have a leg to stand on defending freely using a misogynistic phrase made popular by a creepy user who alienated women.

Ok then. I’m the one reading too much into someone cause ya know crazyyyy womennn amiright? :roll_eyes:

1 Like