Yuppy Shite

how about minimalism ‘lifestyle’ /interior design/whatever else

1 Like

quarter of a million pounds on a tiny metal greenhouse!

1 Like

I think you’re confusing a yuppie with what people term a hipster. The two are very different.

Yuppies have always been brash, monied, materialistic, and not very discerning. What you’re describing is not that.

1 Like

Well seeing as it’s no longer 1983, we can say that the definition of yuppie has changed, just how hipster has a different meaning now to what it did in 2005.

:smile:

If the definition of yuppie has changed, it’s only in your head that it’s changed to someone who likes craft beer and Instagram.

most alternative/indie music is pretty yuppyish imo

Young Upwardly Mobile Professional. They don’t wear suits anymore, do they? The yuppies.

4 Likes

What do you mean by that?

Most financial/legal/property firms in the City require that you do, still.

Maybe not with the red braces though.

Yuppie still stands for Young Upwardly mobile/Urban Professionals - if we are using the word in 2018 then what I’ve described is exactly that.

Oh, so I didn’t fall asleep on the train and dream this thread up? Impressive that it’s somehow managed to get worse than it was when I left it. Sort of like a dark side version of the Smashing Pumpkins Hot takes thread. Must be a social board thing

yeah I agree broadly agree and think some kind of ‘post-hipster’ is what I’d generally be referring to if I called someoe a yuppie

1 Like

Yeah no one uses the word yuppie anymore apart from apparently, marckee.

this is a good point, these days the most expensive tastes actually seem to be the most basic/nothingy, and therefore presumably cheap to make (although I imagine people still splash millions on, say, a grey dining room wall with a perfectly shaped rectangular blue neon light in the centre, or whatever the fuck is cool these days).

Actually don’t worry.

It’s not just the acronym though, is it? It’s an archetype/stereotype as well.

OK? I don’t know why you are so obsessed with the precise definition of yuppie.

Sounds like SOMEONE doesn’t want to fall into the modern definition of yuppie???

2 Likes