🧙 🧙‍♀️ zap zap let's have a fantasy thread zap zap 🧙‍♀️ 🧙

Inspired by the every popular sci fi thread let’s do the same thing but for fantasy! Some thoughts:

• books, TV, graphic novels etc all welcome

• doesn’t have to be wizards and elves and that, all types of fantasy welcome. Gormenghast chat belongs in here as does magic realism etc

• bonus points for recommendations that encourage inclusivity so if you’ve got recommendations for fantasy books etc created by as wide a range of people as possible that would be fab.

• Some people have very strong feelings about Tolkein, which is fine but let’s keep it light and not let it dominate the thread.

Let’s go!

7 Likes

here’s a wizard that tricknips drew for me after i badmouthed fantasy

18 Likes

Currently reading The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin and it is really excellent. Fantasy, but about as powerful an anti-racist message as you’ll find in any writing.

7 Likes

Got a self-imposed rule where I’m not allowed to read two white male authored books in a row. Currently on my list are

• Rain Wild Chronicles by Robin Hobb (not really into the dragon stuff and want to get back to the Fitz and Fool stuff)
  • Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
  • Black Leopard Red Wolf by Marlon James (about a third through and taking a break, can’t decide if I’m enjoying it)
  • Emergency Skin by N. K. Jemisin (bloody love her)

Think I’ve given up on Kushiel’s Dart by Jacqueline Carey. It’s supposed to be good sexy fantasy but it’s got a bad habit of doing the same thing the makes Sanderson totally unreadable to me, which is dumping a load of made up words onto the page in lieu of actual patient world building.

3 Likes

Wizard Tricknip has an excellent point, which the book I mentioned above illustrates perfectly

(no wizards though)

Think I am going to read all the NKJ after I’ve finished all the UKLG

2 Likes

I’m going to kick things off with one of my favourite fantasy novels of all time: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. This is one of the few books I’ve read in the last however many years that actually justifies being 600 pages long. When I first read it I was really lukewarm on it for the first 200 pages or so and then it really got me. I think you have to appreciate the very very dry way it’s written and the fact that so much of it is mocking self-important and flawed men through the lens of magic.

I love the way that it deals with magic: the contrast between the ‘theoretical magicians’ who just sit around their books arguing about the academic minutaie of magic without ever actually doing any and the ‘practical magicians’ who have almost limitless power but are bounded by their own worldviews. It’s utterly utterly wonderful 5*s.

8 Likes

Probably going to re-read the Patrick Rothfuss stuff before the third one comes out but (hot take alert) unless there’s a magnificent heel turn and the whole thing until now has been epic bullshitting by an unreliable narrator then those books are actually trash.

Ah! I don’t think I made it that far. It can go back on the list.

1 Like

this is a fab rule.

4 Likes

This is what I thought after the first (never bothered with the second). The narrator is just too good to be true, isn’t he?

Yeah. If it ends up being, effectively, a parody of white male power fantasy… fantasy then it’ll be great, but if it’s being played straight then it needs to get in the fucking sea.

2 Likes

I have The Name of the Wind in my reading pile, if I don’t like it I’m binning off white male fantasy writing.

1 Like

It’s a really good page turner, but as soon as you engage any critical faculties it becomes a massive yikes.

1 Like

@Scagden I appreciate the zap zap in the thread title as a nod to pew pew of the sci-fi thread :+1:

4 Likes

It’s actually coming out soon? Spent the first 2 waiting for something to happen… It felt at the beginning that were going to be loads of incredible things happening. But no incredible things happened. But they were very readable, so I’ll read the next one.

Reading Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones at the minute. It’s a lot of fun. Not sure how she passed me by when I was a kid. Then going to keep being on the NK Jemisin Train and read The Obelisk Gate.

The first 200 pages are very frustrating. Their very deliberately dry which changes as soon as Mr Strange arrives.
It’s a great book and I really like the TV show as well, it’s a very good adaption.

2 Likes

There was something about a pulled Amazon listing for early August, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Aha. It’s probably going to be 800 pages about an epic lute solo. Just remembered all the lute business.

1 Like

I’m reading Gormenghast, as I mentioned in the sci-fi thread, so I’ll say it again here in the appropriate place. How about that

3 Likes