💯🖕 1001 Albums: DiS - Day 5: KE*A*H** (Psalm 69) by Ministry

0 voters

Could be interesting…

1 Like

Afraid to even press the play button.
But i’ll give it a try!

1 Like

Absolutely rinsed this album when it came out.

Favourite track is probably Scarecrow - very much an industrial take on Black Sabbath. Last two tracks feel a bit like filler, but aside from that a great album. Jesus Built My Hotrod was a very powerful song on the dancefloor growing up.

The outputs of the various Al Jourgensen projects from mid-80s to early 90s (Lard/Ministry/Revolting Cocks/Pailhead/all the other Wax Trax stuff) is possibly my favourite run of albums ever - even more so than the original Wu-Tang run :+1:

7 Likes

Jesus built my car
It’s a love affair
Mainly Jesus
And my hot rod

5 Likes

It’s pretty odd that they had this indie-disco floorfiller in there! Looking forward to giving this a palette-cleansing spin as my personal generator has served up some funky soul.

Think the first Lard album (and the EP) are the best thing that either Al or Jello have ever done.

3 Likes

A massive part of their appeal was that no matter how heavy the music got, there was an underlying tone of piss-take throughout everything they did :smiley:

Loved it when it came out but have completely killed it for myself by over playing it.
I still find it nuts how upset my friends and I were that they used a drum machine as that wasn’t proper metal. We got over it but fucking hell we were stupid in the 90’s.

2 Likes

Yeah, I get that. It’s definitely what sets them apart from some absurdly po-faced contemporaries.

1 Like

Haha. Think that might’ve been one of the reasons I could accept it!

1 Like

Big Ministry fan, and this was an important gateway for me into the 80s/early 90s industrial scene (albeit not hugely representative of that sound). I think it sags a bit as a whole but the highs are very high.

Scarecrow was very good at getting our silly baby to sleep in the first 6 months of her life.

7/10.

4 Likes

Pretty great tbh

I think a lot of industrial stuff from the 90s gets forgotten when it’s actually very great and original music (far better than lots of American stuff from the 90s tbqh)

1 Like

Just relaxing into the extended mix of Jesus Built My Hotrod :+1:

3 Likes

Totally this! I think it was seeing the video for Jesus Built My Hotrod on MTV2 back in the 90s that made me buy this album. NWO and Just One Fix blew my mind at the time, what a start to an album! I used to dislike and skip Scarecrow as I found it a bit of a slog at the time (8 minutes seemed long back then), no such issues these days!

It’s still my favourite Ministry album, a 9 for me.

1 Like

Don’t really know much about Ministry, but I do LOVE Jesus Built My Hotrod and Gibby Haynes’ ranting on it.

1 Like

Easily my favourite album of late 80’s/early 90’s industrial. Still stick it on quite regularly.

9/10.

1 Like

Would be a 10 if it had stigmata on it too.

I listened to it again a lot a few months ago, having not really listened to it since back in the day, and was surprised quite how… scrappy it is for such an influential and high-selling album. I don’t mean that in a bad way, I just wonder what the record company thought when they first heard it; TV II and Grace especially. It made me read up on the making of it - it’s incredible it saw the light of day at all. Anyway, overall it’s a 10 from me.

1 Like

Yeah, but that goes for any album :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Struggling with this one if I am honest. Not my usual genre of choice so will probably abstain from voting on this. Having said that I did enjoy Scare Crow. Some of the tracks do make we want to go listen to The Downward Spiral though.

2 Likes