Bands should always publish their setlists before a show

yes, it would need to be fully transcribed and published in advance

1 Like

8 Likes

Before any live show starts, the least a performer can do is start a hashtag unique to that particular performance and answer any questions tweeted from the audience for between 1-4 hours beforehand.

3 Likes

Should be the norm for audience members to bring their own sandwiches from home, and a thermos of tea. I bet thatā€™s how they do it in civilised Europe

5 Likes

We should be searching the bouncers on the way into big gigs, see how they fucking like it

4 Likes

Yeah! And bar staff are welcome to buy a cup of tea from my thermosā€¦ but itā€™ll cost them 17 GBP.

1 Like

I think King Gizzard did a residency somewhere in Australia last year where they did different themed shows (acoustic show, heavy show, microtonal show, jams show etc) where they published the setlist for each show along with the ticket links so you could decide which ones youā€™d prefer to go to

3 Likes

Canā€™t remember what small London venue it was that did a whole ā€œweā€™ll no longer be posting stage times to our shows, we want people to be there early to see the supports, support small bands!ā€ spiel, then it emerged they never even bother announcing who the support bands are on their website

3 Likes

Actually thatā€™s an annoying thing as well, venues/promoters not telling you who the support band is in advance. Donā€™t really understand it, literally 2 seconds to just write it on facebook or a tweet.

6 Likes

Such a small measure - publish set times - makes a huge difference in terms of psychological (and maybe physical, though hopefully not) safety of attending a gig. One promoter in Manchester / Salford, not in the most salubrious part of town, just puts ā€˜7.30 til Lateā€™ on their adverts. Instantly excluding.

4 Likes

(As a former venue manager) I can tell you that itā€™s not the venues - we always wanted to post set times well in advance but promoters and tour managers always insisted on embargoing this and only release them late in the day. Inevitably though the set times were pretty standard (doors 7pm, support 8pm, headline 9pm) so the imposed mystery was just another level of bullshit.

2 Likes

Theyve gone well up in my estimations

1 Like

Especially annoying if youā€™re going on your own and they expect you to be happy to just stand around like a lemon for an hour until they decide to start

I remember when a free gig I was interested in going to with a band I quite like and a band Iā€™m fairly indifferent to posted this

without even any indication of who was on first and who was on second, so I just didnā€™t go.

Great work lads.

6 Likes

Hated when the venues in Belfast used to vaguely give an idea of stage times by giving what time doors opened and then ā€œsupport starts at __ā€ so youd get down while first support was on, I say first as theyd often have 2 maybe 3 support acts on and youd be there for fucking ages dying on the inside.

Wankers

Thatā€™s the worst. Why would they do that?

I go to more and more gigs on my own, so know exactly what you mean about the amount of lemon standing. A week night gig especially with no published set times is just daft.

2 Likes

Highly annoying for those of us who like to stay in the pub until the last possible minute as well (but fair!).

1 Like

Glad Iā€™m not the only one that does this. Currently listening to a Wedding Present playlist before next weekā€™s gig. By the night of the gig Iā€™m normally more familiar with the setlist than the band themselves are.

1 Like

Makes it more fun imo. Get to know which songs are being played so thr ones youā€™re less familiar with you can get into a bit more and as @iamwiggy says, you can plan toilet or bar visits accordingly. Perfect

the other thing is when they do post stage times but everything happens half an hour later than they said it would

used to happen with local gigs in the Menagerie a fair bit

3 Likes

By law, all support bands should be on at 8 and headliners at 9. Any exceptions have to approved by the Queen.

6 Likes