Beastie Boys Book

Finally got through it. It’s wonderful, a history of New York / LA music in the 80’s and 90’s as well as a tribute to the band. Some takeaways:

It’s a great looking book, amazing pictures and articles, groundbreaking in the genre.
New York in the late 70’s/early 80’s sounds amazing.
Slightly weird how it just ends when MCA died, but I guess that’s what happened, and it appears that MCA was the engine room of the band so understandable.
Great when they say that ‘To the 5 Boroughs’ was mediocre, mainly due to 9/11 happening half way through the making of it. I wondered how many other bands would be honest enough to say that an album was pretty mediocre?
The playlists on Spotify are amazing, will probably spend the next few years working my way through them.
Buy it and read it.

2 Likes

I’ve got it, but I haven’t braved it yet. Such a beast of a book. I know it’ll be worth it.

1 Like

I got it for Christmas and had to ration my reading of it, otherwise I’d have burnt through it in just a few days. Loved it, such a great evocation of time and place (obvs the New York stuff, but I also enjoyed the California in the early 90s section a lot as well - to be young in LA with plenty of money and nothing to do except goof around and think about making a record is truly living the dream, right?)

1 Like

Lovely book. Don’t think you’d have to read it in one go as the chapters are all short and not entirely connected, but once I picked it up I could not put it down. Such an interesting group of people

1 Like

The audio book version is apparently even better as they’re all read by a variety of Indie slebs

1 Like

I have it lined up as my next audible purchase. Currently working through Carrie Brownsteins book.

I really like To the 5 Boroughs :pensive:

The cover art alone is excellent

2 Likes

I know, I had a re-listen in the light of those comments. I think it was a harsh assessment (can’t remember if it was Ad Rock or Mike D who said it though).

1 Like

I’m struggling to get through it. It’s a bit big to lug into work and read on the train, so I’m chipping away reading chapter in bed (which I’m crap at doing without nodding off). It is very good though.

Yeah, I rinsed that album when it came out. Is good :+1:

1 Like