Bits of films that break the suspension of disbelief

films
bullshit
disbelief
tropes
anger

We all know that loads of things in films are totally unrealistic, like the sound effects of a gun loading, the ammunition a gun contains or people not laughing when Danny Dyer talks.

However there are some things that totally jar and ruin your enjoyment of a film. This thread is for those moments and telling people they’re crazy for thinking the way they do.

e.g.
The Fundamentals of Caring: The mother / son combo who’ve moved to the US from the UK have Welsh & Surrey accents. At no point during the film is it brought up why they have such different accents. Probably just the director saying “they’re British, that’ll do”.
28 Weeks Later: The route they take through London doesn’t make any sense, and the speed at which they travel by foot is ridiculous.

Sometimes I wonder whether New Yorkers shout at the screen whenever their city is portrayed with dodgy geography too.

I think the worst one for me was the motorbike chase at the end of Mission Impossible 2. It’s riddled with so many continuity errors that you start laughing at it.

Music anachronisms.

No problems with an immortal girl vampire in New Mexico circa March 1983 (Let Me In). However, I do have big issues with a mid-west commercial radio station playing Bowie’s Let’s Dance before it was released in the UK.

17 Agaib. Dont think Zac Efron would grow up to look like Chandler

Nah Tom Cruise would totally be able to swap his front tyre from slick to off road and back again multiple times whilst riding.

Collateral (or any other film for that matter) where the entire plot hinges on a mobile phone, which has been working fine up to that point, losing signal at just the wrong time. Also in Collateral, Tom Cruise, having been shot in the head, somehow catching up with Jamie Foxx and Jada Pinkett Smith, despite the fact they used a lift and he had to use the stairs from quite a high floor.

Nearly everything about Girl on the Train. My god I hate that FUCKING DUMB FILM

Not seen the film, but the book was massively meh.

imagine a film somehow feeling slower than a book.

The Martian - no way was that soil deep enough to grow potatoes.

obviously the tube bit in Thor 2

Watched Mission Impossible 4 the other night - there’s a scene where they’re doing a diamonds for nuclear launch codes exchange in a hotel, and Simon Pegg’s character is pretending to be room service. The bad guys proceed to make this exchange in front of him, which seems cavalier at best.

Oh god. The middle bit dragged massively. I mean, it wasn’t a bad story, just “is that it.” I thought it was going to be more mental/bleak/weird due to all the hype surrounding it. Average thriller really.

Watched that there Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows film last night (don’t ask, having to watch the entire fucking series is killing me) and it took me a good couple of minutes before I realised that Bill Nighy’s character was doing a Welsh accent. Was mind-blowingly bad. Like he had a few phrases down pat, but in a thick Welsh accent and would then would just use his regular voice between those bits.

I mean, he could have gone for a light Welsh accent and then pulled it off as being a bit dilute, but no, he goes from full on to English accent with abandon.

What a twat.

When Marty McFly plays a Gibson 335 in 1955

This poster in Legion when he is in his memory of his childhood bedroom:

Which as we all know where only recently commissioned by NASA:

Hackers. Just… Hackers.

This also counts for the first Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes film, basically.

I’m tempted to raise the bit in Superman IV where they go into the NYC Subway and inexplicably end up on a Piccadilly Line platform but the whole film was an exercise in suspending disbelief.

I will say of Superman II that there is a dreadful bit where the villains attack a town supposedly in mid-west America and one kid says, “Please put my daddy down,” in the most public school of British accents. That always jars so much for me.

How would there only be one fucking ipod in that living space and only with disco tracks on it?

Where were the other astronauts entertainment devices? Where was his own?

I’m still angry about this now.