Branching out from Kiasmos (recommendations needed)

Not sure if this is allowed under the forum rules, but I’m looking for album recommendations. Really enjoyed Kiasmos’ album + EP, but it’s been a few years and I’m looking for some recommendations for music of a similar vein - could some of you point me in the right direction? :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’ll allow it, but just this once…

Try Murcof’s Martes. It’s less four-to-the-floor, but hits all the right notes in terms of blending techno with classical.

Also Insen by Alva Noto and Ryuichi Sakamoto. Again, more minimal with the beats, but a wonderful blend of those genres.

1 Like

Rival Consoles

2 Likes

Think there was another thread along similar lines a few months ago? I’d say Gidge is definitely worth a punt. New album is great, but a bit colder and sparser than their first (which is a bit more… bucolic?).

lusine
Telefon tel aviv
older deru albums

Ok here is a few:

Samaris. More lyrical but still glacial electronic music from iceland:

Christian Loffer. Same sort of clean production and euphoric but calm music:

Wobbley moving synth work:

More overtly on the techno side but have a smooth nature approach to techno:

The absolute legend that is Dominik Eulberg

Or Pantha Du Prince. Particularly his cross over hit ‘Black Noise’

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

I always find myself lining up Jon Hopkins after listening to Kiasmos

…or sometimes The Field

1 Like

Jonny H is a good Kiasmos-esque recommendation. The Field’s debut is just straight-up essential listening for anyone with ears.

2 Likes

All great recommendations - thanks! :smiley:

Check out Max Richter’s remix of Nils Frahm and Olafur Arnaulds - Stare (A2). One of my favourite earworms ever.

I only just realised that Janus Rasmussen released a solo album earlier this year.

Maybe missing just a little bit of the warmth that Olafur Arnalds brings…But in the absence of a proper new Kiasmos album (which may be some time away it seems), it definitely hits the spot.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was source material for a new album from the duo, but Olafur had touring and other commitments and Janus just wanted to get it released.

Moderat is essential listening

3 Likes

Been listening to these guys all day. Great stuff thanks for sharing

1 Like

Saw Arnalds earlier this year and he talked a little about Kiasmos. He said he enjoyed making the music but touring it was pretty much the most boring experience he’s ever put himself through; I’m not sure he’s all that keen to get back to the project.

Rival Consoles - Persona - Album by Rival Consoles | Spotify
Max Cooper - One Hundred Billion Sparks - Album by Max Cooper | Spotify
The Sight Below - Glider 10 - Album by The Sight Below | Spotify
BVDUB - Explosions in Slow Motion - Album by Bvdub | Spotify
Rafael Anton Irisarri - Solastalgia - Album by Rafael Anton Irisarri | Spotify

1 Like

That’s a shame. Love the album and thought they were brilliant live.

1 Like

Loved the album but never got to see them live :sob:

I second Max Cooper, his first 2 albums are great.

2 Likes