Cassandra Jenkins

Love this version of Hailey

1 Like

is her November tour still on?

if anyone’s on the fence about going to one of the remaining dates, do it!

1 Like

She’s playing that Pitchfork Festival in London tonight. Was originally part of the bill with Bobby Gillespie/Jenny Beth but I didn’t fancy paying over 40 quid for the show. They’ve since cancelled and it’s been downscaled to a church in Hackney. Gutted as it appears I’m too late to grab a ticket now.

Fingers crossed she’ll be back in the new year. I’ve got the album on again right now, easily one of my very favourites of the year.

Sold!

4 Likes

argh was so annoyed it was part of a wider gig that i didn’t care about, wish i’d known about the changes! oh well

The show last night in Leeds was superb. She is amazing of course, but her band were absolutely superb and as well. The woman playing saxophone and flute was incredible and the way they used her made the night really something unique. I was pondering afterwards whether a male singer-songwriter would have been likely to cede so much of the limelight to a musician in their band.

A great night - thanks to @riverwise for the push.

2 Likes

Absolutely. was so impressed with how they managed to recreate the atmosphere of the record in a live setting.

2 Likes

Ah man, all of these reports are making me so jealous. Really wish I could have got to see her. I hope she’s back on these shores soon, will make it my number 1 priority to see her next time she’s over.

2 Likes

Similarly, very jealous of everyone seeing this tour.

Just been on an quick walk before starting wfh, it’s probably a massive cliche but the album is basically perfect for a chilly autumn morning.

3 Likes

I remember reading an article a few years ago about the quality of musicianship on the American indie/alternative scene as opposed to the British. There are exceptions of course, but there is a bit of feeling that in this country we have never quite got over the punk idea that being able to play your instrument really well is a bit suspect.

Obviously technical skill is never enough on its own, but that show was a bit of an example of how amazing it can be if you put it in the service of a really talented and original songwriter. All five of that band were fantastically talented and they really elevated the songs.

3 Likes

One from Saturday in Glasgow

2 Likes

The current band is from Glasgow (saxophonist aside), fyi! 3 guys from Lylo and Gerard from Babe.

2 Likes

Hah! Fair enough. They are still great. What’s the saxophonist’s name do you know? What other stuff has she been involved in?

Jealous of some of these experiences on this tour.

I went to the London gig at St. Matthias church and had some really magical moments, but the drums were SO loud that any track with them were just ruined. Really spoiled what could have been an amazing show.

My album of the year though and will deffo try and catch her again in future

She posted a thing the other bandcamp Friday with links to stuff her band does

@cassandrajenkins - Listen on YouTube, Apple Music - Linktree it’s in a Google doc there under Bandcamp Friday

1 Like

Yeah I was very confused when everyone going on stage was Scottish thought the line-up had changed.

This is her I think.

She’s seriously good.

1 Like

Jill Ryan from Great Time (via a couple of mentions on twitter by CJ)

https://twitter.com/great_time_band?s=20

1 Like

I think you might be right- the link @Unlucky posted above mentioned her and Charlotte Greve, and having looked at pictures of both of them I wasn’t sure which it was in Leeds. Charlotte Greve seems to have been playing with them in continental Europe but maybe Jill Ryan in the U.K.?

1 Like