Desire for thread actions without entering thread

I wish there was a way to preview threads on hover/right click (desktop) but also take action on threads without going into it, such as Watching/Tracking/Normal/Muted, or Mark as Read. Prime use case: I don’t want to enter a popular thread I have zero interest in and scroll to bottom in order to mute or revert to Normal to get rid of the blue dot/count.

I know, minor issue, probably no solution.

  • I care about this
  • I don’t care about this
0 voters

Yes this would be good. Find when I do go into a thread and scroll down to mute it I inevitably hit the flag option first, the muting could be a lot slicker in general.

2 Likes

Definitely. You used to be able to track a thread from the top. Useful if you see a new topic with 50+ replies but aren’t going to read it there and then. Now you have to scroll to the bottom which marks all those posts as read and if nobody posts in it afterwards then it won’t appear in your unread list.

This Discourse feature request covers more-or-less what you describe as far as the muting aspect goes:

Doesn’t look like it’s had much traction, though sometimes showing support on these requests makes them more likely to happen.

2 Likes

Actually on desktop there’s the sidebar which does give us access to the tracking options via the bell icon, so that’s nice as scrolling isn’t needed.

But it doesn’t help before entering the thread or on mobile.

Ah yes my last reply was before clicking into that to realize the OP mentions using the sidebar (but still has to open the thread).

Also sometimes I just don’t want to add to the thread view count :face_with_peeking_eye:.

1 Like

I would like a function that automatically mutes any thread that mentions Pokémon, WWE, or Billy Corgan.

2 Likes

That’s 90% of the boards!

3 Likes

You can mute entire tags, so I’ve tagged all the Pokémon threads with the same thing so it’s easy to do this in one swoop.

2 Likes

I wish there was a way to get a “like” without having to go into a thread and write a good post.

Is this the kind of thing you mean?

6 Likes