DiS' Favourite Writers (voting)

Inspired by @Joke’s excellent efforts in collating our favourite directors and actors…I thought I’d steal some limelight and do one for authors. I’m also taking it on because I think it’ll be interesting, people tend to be quite subjective when it comes to novels, and so hopefully we can produce something quite different to a canon. At the very least, it’ll bring up a host of interesting work to discover, which is the best practical use for threads like these.

Lists in private messages please, I’m going to start by suggesting 20 is a good number (so ordered from 20 points to 1 point) but I’ll put a poll below for others to chip in.

9 Likes
  1. JK Rowling
8 Likes

Balonz

1 Like

Number of entries poll:

0 voters

8 Likes

No point in including some Norwegian authors, is there

I think so…we can all post our individual lists anyway, and if they creep onto the overall list then it’ll make it more interesting.

I’m not thinking we should limit it to English only…even though it will be heavily dominated by the one language, much like the other lists

2 Likes

only Norwegian author I can think of was a nazi :frowning:

We have thankfully had some better once since then (and before, come to think of it)

1 Like

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Are we talking authors of fiction? Novels only? Any other rules?

1 Like

Question for people with mathematical brains…if we eventually go with 20 or 25 picks…which of the following is more likely to cause an unrepresentative skew in the final list:

a) people just putting 10 authors (scoring, for example 25-16 points)

or

b) people padding out a list with well known names because they only have 10 in mind

If that makes sense

I’d say fiction but not just novels. Unless anyone disagrees strongly

4 Likes

Sounds good to me!

Already got my number 1 nailed on but will be fun to consider the other options.

There’s probably more authors where I’ve only read 1 book than there are the equivalent for musicians or directors, so one book I totally love could push someone right to the top of the list.

2 Likes

Same, but when I think of both the effort that goes into one single novel, and depth of emotion that can be drawn from it, then it feels entirely natural.

1 Like

Big Dicky Brautigan
Burroughs
Others probably

1 Like

Sylvia Plath, Emily Dickinson, all the sad gals
Cormac McCarthy

4 Likes

if you go by the voting for best actor it was a fucking free for all! :slight_smile: :wink:

2 Likes

Up for this but someone else will have to do the edgelording. I nominate ruffers.

4 Likes

Actually yeah, no TERFs

3 Likes