DiS Users' June 2017 Album Of The Month

Vote for your favourite album and also your second and third choices. Make your selections clear please as it makes tallying up the scores easier. If you list a whole bunch of albums without making your selections clear I’ll take the first three mentioned as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. No joint positions please. Sorry to be a pedant.

Your album of the month will get three points, 2nd placed album two points and 3rd placed album one point. If you name only one album I’ll give that three points. If you name two albums I’ll score them with three and two points accordingly

My choices:

1. Big Thief - Capacity
  2. Cigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex
  3. Pixx - The Age Of Anxiety

4th Algiers - The Underside Of Power
5th Laurel Halo - Dust

I hadn’t heard of Big Thief before the great reviews. Reminds of early Angel Olsen and Sharon Van Etten. Some amazing tracks on the album with Shark Smile and Mythological Beauty being my favourites. Looking forward to checking out their album Masterpiece.
Cigarettes After Sex is up there with the shittest name for a band. I didn’t realize that they had all those YouTube views etc. again before reading the reviews. I was sort of hoping to hate it due to their crap band name. Actually, is a brilliant sweet record and I bought a ticket for their Roundhouse gig on the back of the album.
The album by Pixx is excellent too. I didn’t like her stuff that I’d heard before but this debut deserves checking out. I saw her at The Courtyard a few days after the release. She’s great live too.

I’ll check out tomorrow’s releases to see if there’s anything that will change my choices. The Beach House rarities/b-sides compilation will be interesting. Not sure that else is released tomorrow.

Please forgive any shameless bumps of this thread during the week. I’ll keep this thread open until Sunday 9th July and so you’ll have over a week to listen to tomorrow’s releases before choosing.

Vote now!! (Or later in the week) but make your choices clear please.

In reference to the AOTM thread
  1. Kevin Morby - City Music
  2. Songhoy Blues - Resistance
  3. BMX Bandits - BMX Bandits Forever

1. Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
  2. Algiers - The Underside of Power
  3. Lorde - Melodrama

Still have Fleet Foxes, Vince Staples, 2 Chainz, Big Boi and Lauren Halo to listen to, so hopefully anticipating a banner month when I get round to it on the weekend.

1. Marika Hackman
  2. Kevin Morby
  3. laurel halo

BY THE WAY. I’LL DO ALBUM OF THE YEAR SO FAR VOTE (JAN - JUNE) AS VOTED BY YOU GUYS ON THESE POSTS AFTER JUNE’S COUNT UP.

Thanks, but no need to shout

Update!

1. Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
  2. Marika Hackman - I’m Not Your Man
  3. Algiers - The Underside of Power

Vince Start - Big Fish theory
The Indelicates - Juniverbreacher

Noted.

I still haven’t heard The Indelicates yet. They’re playing a gig next week but I’m on a late shift at work. I haven’t seen them for a few years. Always great live.

So fantastic live. We played with them in Kingston recently and it was such a treat. Seeing them again in a couple of weeks and can’t wait. The album is phenomenal - a furious and genuinely moving take on patriotism/Brexit etc, with all the brilliant instrumentation and theatrics they usually deliver.

Big Thief - Capacity
Mutoid Man - War Moans
Algiers - The Underside of Power

Mentions needed for '68, Marika Hackman and Elder. All very very good

I’ve not heard Vince Staples or Fleet Foxes yet but

1. Richard Dawson
  2. Marika Hackman
  3. Big Thief

Decent month (again)…

1. Laurel Halo - Dust
  2. Mark Mcguire - Ideas of Beginnings
  3. Moon Diagrams - Lifetime of Love

Enjoyed Richard Dawson, Dustin Wong & Sufjan etc Planetarium project too.

Cigarettes after sex is the only new record i’ve listened to this month, that being said i really like it.

1. Algiers - The Underside of Power
  2. Floating Points - Reflections: Mojave Desert
  3. Goldie - The Journey Man

1. Sleep Party People - Lingering
  2. Bodebrixen - Ruins
  3. Sufjan Stevens and co - Planetarium

1. Mutoid Man - War Moans
  2. '68 - Two Parts Viper

1. Richard Dawson
  2. Fleet Foxes
  3. Vince Staples

Great month for reissues too - I really loved the ‘Vaults’ disc of the Purple Rain reissue and the Young Fathers Tapes One and Two