Dock leaves don't do anything

Probably, but I’m only speaking for my practical experience.

1 Like

Wasnt meaning to grill you there sorry :grin:

I just find pain/how we produce knowledge about it very interesting

1 Like

Not got the resources to conduct a full review but this study observed particular effectiveness in under 14s.

• I fell in stinging nettles as a kid
  • I didn’t fall in stinging nettles as a kid

0 voters

I half fell in stinging nettles last week.

Why?

Something to do.

6 Likes

I suppose so, yeah

The real answer is I had to go and get some beer barrels from round the back of my work and there are stinging nettles there and i slipped a bit and my legs went in the stinging nettles and I was wearing shorts. Happy now?

1 Like

Not at all

4 Likes

interesting how people don’t like getting stung by nettles but they do like spicy food

5 Likes

"Thick nettle patches can also be a symptom of air pollution boosting soil nitrogen levels, with an impact Plantlife’s Trevor Dines likens to “nutrient-rich junk food”.

Ffs. I love thick nettle patches.

1 Like

Yeah I wasn’t really questioning whether placebos are effective for children (and whether they are more effective than in adolescents/adults which is what this study suggests).

It was the claim that they could be just as important as an “actual remedy”* that I wondered about.

I just don’t see how these things can be compared in this way. What’s this based on?

(* imo they are an actual remedy since they clearly work)

somebody should do a study where they call them spicy nettles and…say…stinging curry and see how people react.

“oh I just brushed a spicy nettle, delicious!”

2 Likes

Or offer kids nettle tea to build up their resistance so when they get stung they might be less distressed by the sensation

[This is not serious]

2 Likes

Do kids have a stronger pain sensation or is it partly a fear and intensity of unknown sensation/how long something will last? Is part of what we consider pain cultural/social?

1 Like

Yes, absolutely (not just according to me - this insight is established from research in medical anthropology)

1 Like

Nettle therapy is apparently a thing to cure hayfever. Don’t know if that works, but i can attest to it not working as a sobering agent when very drunk, despite what I thought at the time)

I can’t remember if I’ve passed on the lies to my kids, but yeah basically they’re an effective distraction (like pretty much 99% of parenting lol)

4 Likes

makes sense

I’ve interpreted the suggestion as being for pain equivalent to nettle stings (ie low level temporary pain which will pass naturally with no after effects) and also as applicable to children because nettle stings are such a common childhood mishap. In which scenarios a medicinal remedy would likely not have any benefits over the placebo as either way the pain is gone quickly with no after-effects; I’d prefer to give my kids the placebo effect of the dock leaf because I prefer not to medicate unnecessarily.

As an aside, of all the lies we pass down the generations, this is one I really get behind, because it encourages kids to bond with nature. I’ll continue to mislead them and myself about nettles and dock leafs if it engages them for longer on woodland walks!

7 Likes