Great English Groups of the 2010's

Was talking yesterday with friends after reading the Everything Everything thread about how in retrospect there are so few properly good and consistent English groups from the 10’s.

Thought it’d be interesting to limit it to English groups as there are a good few consistent groups from other parts of these isles i.e. Girl Band and Young Fathers.

What it means to be “a band of the 10’s” and “consistent” obviously varies but here we go…

Arctic Monkeys

• A great band of the 10’s
  • Not a great band of the 10’s

0 voters

Everything Everything

0 voters

Gogo Penguin

0 voters

The Wave Pictures

• A great English band of the 10s
  • Not that

0 voters

4 posts in and you’re already having to make bands up

22 Likes

don’t know how to do polls, but Wild Beasts? Thought ‘Two Dancers’ and ‘Smother’ were genuinely great records. They tailed off with the last 2 albums but were still very good.

9 Likes

Haha I never would have considered them but my friend mentioned them and they’re probably up there with the best groups from the last decade, really great emotive piano jazz. The indie rock from the last decade was patchy but I reckon when you start looking at groups from different genres things look a lot better.

1 Like

A couple of the choices so far need a “Who?” option in the polls

1 Like

World
Unite
Lucifer
Youth
Foundation

6 Likes

Savages

• A great English band of the 2010s
  • Not great
  • Who?

0 voters

Metronomy

• Not great
  • Who?

0 voters

Do they have to have started in the 10s or just be active throughout the 10s?

Yeah, Wild Beasts are easily one of the best English ones for me. Smart, funny, uniquely weird.

Tailed off towards the end but their best stuff stands up against all the best lyrically-minded indie music that’s ever come out of this country.

4 Likes

Probably just but wasn’t Nights Out 2009?

trash kit

not many others are there. probably cos of that thing about how much harder it is for working class people to get into art school than it used to be

2 Likes

Radiohead

• Not great
  • Who?

0 voters

I think so. I haven’t really listened to that one anyway - was basing the question off The English Riviera onwards. Only one truly great album but a load of great singles and individual tracks so thought they just about snuck in based on the relatively low level of competition.

Struggle to think of anyone outside of Hot Chip, EE, Metronomy and Wild Beasts that I’ve been properly into since 2010. Radiohead and Boards of Canada have barely been active. I’ve still enjoyed Gorilaz in that time. Stealing Sheep, Arctic Monkeys… That’s about it?

Sleaford Mods
  • great
  • not great
  • who?

0 voters