How good a tour guide would you be around the place you live right now?

If someone came to visit the town / city or whatever you lived in right now, and assume that having-enough-time is not a problem:

Do you think you’d be able to fill a days worth of sightseeing as their tour guide?
  • Yes, comfortably
  • Yes, just about
  • No

0 voters

Do you think you’d be a good person to show them around?
  • No, I know fuck all
  • No, I wouldn’t know what to say
  • No, other reason
  • Yes

0 voters

How good would you be at recommending places to eat?
  • Excellent
  • Very good
  • OK
  • Not so good
  • Terrible

0 voters

How good would you be at recommending places to drink / go out?
  • Excellent
  • Very good
  • OK
  • Not so good
  • Terrible

0 voters

How good would you be at recommending hidden gems?
  • Excellent
  • Very good
  • OK
  • Not so good
  • Terrible

0 voters

How good would you be at recommending other things to do?
  • Excellent
  • Very good
  • OK
  • Not so good
  • Terrible

0 voters

This thread is brought to you by someone asking me about what to do in the city I used to live in and my recommendations being massively subpar and obvious

Back when I lived in London I was very good at this sort of thing, not sure what happened

6 Likes

Food & Drink = Yeah I’m confident I can show people what they want
Everything else = hmmm just about passable I think

For London this gives me a bit of anxiety - It’s so big and so much to do where do you even start!

I feel like Birmingham for the second city is surprisingly small (city centre anyway) so much easier to work out what people might want and what other areas they might be interested in

My interests i think aren’t interesting to many people, can recommend good gardens or woody places to visit but even then its limited to north west/south west london

Anyone is welcome to a Winchester guide. Or a Portsmouth guide. Or a Chichester guide.

if they’re interested in exactly the same things as me - great!

otherwise - oh no.

1 Like

I wouldn’t even consider London “ where I live”. If anyone asked me I’d point them at the train station and tell them to just wander about waiting for something interesting to turn up.

You see this Spar, right. Used to be a Co-Op – yes like the Co-Op just up the road from here, there used to be two Co-Ops. But before it was a Co-Op, it was a Spar. Like it is now. Anyway, yeah - they did some renovating on the Co-Op a few years ago and it became a Spar again. My mate used to shoplift from here and right over there is where a bloke threw a bottle at us because we told him his haircut looked like Niko Bellic’s from Grand Theft Auto 4

5 Likes

See now right here is where Stat lobbed this massive fucking apple and the apple like got pierced by the tree bark and loads of apple juice went in my eye and I was like “FUCK’S SAKE STAT, APPLE JUICE IN ME EYE”

1 Like

So here’s a funny series of circumstances. Our school burned down the year I started, right? Three years in those temporary mobiles, but then a good few years of insurance payout-fuelled luxury! A comprehensive school with like state-of-the-art computers, we were. We had Garageband and that’s where a young man by the name of whatever my name is first discovered the joys of messing about with music production.

And nearly 15 years on and where am I now? Well… let’s just say, I wake up most nights. Screaming. Just fucking… I don’t know who I am anymore.

1 Like

And who could forget the rec centre? As a young man, I loved when our PE lessons took us on a trip to this here gym. Many reasons for this:

• You’d sit on the exercise bike, bring your headphones, and you could watch an episode of Frasier
  • You could proper waste time on your walk back to school and show up to the next lesson like 45 minutes late
1 Like

Used to be a computer shop here where these houses are. We got a graphics card from here and it had a copy of Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind come free with it. It was the game of the year edition as well, so some of the bugs had been fixed

1 Like

You’ll never believe this! See, this hairdressers here - and it’s got her name on the sign. You’ll notice there’s another hairdressers next door n all right? And GET THIS! I’ve frequented the latter of the hairdressers and the proprietor, right? HER NAME IS THE SAME NAME AS WHAT THE HAIRDRESSER WHO EMBLAZENS HER NAME UPON HER SIGN HAS

What are the chances of such things?

1 Like

Can I sign up for one of these tours?

4 Likes

Darn tooting!

I just farted so you could say I am darn tooting

1 Like

Useless tbh. Whenever a Leeds thread pops up in this forum, my brain blanks.

Depends on what vibe they’re after. If they want wastelands, housing estates, concrete murals, chai tips, and a very flimsy grasp on history then I’m good.

Alwsys admire how much most europeans I’ve met know about the context of their towns and things like population, politics and trade.