šŸŽµ How Good Are They Really šŸŽµ Editors

Genuinely fascinated by musicians that are massive in places you donā€™t expect think Hurts are massive in Eastern Europe. Yet over here bet nobody has a clue who they are/forgotten them after the 1st album.

1 Like

Adored the debut when it came out. Still really like it a lot. The second album I enjoyed back in 2006, but have become less enthused with it over time. Everything else after has been mostly average to crap. They never really recovered from that absolute dud of a third album where they tried to go all John Carpenter and failed spectacularly. So a generous 3 from me, because I have a lot of fond memories of that first album.

As an aside, seek out the instrumental version of Marching Orders; itā€™s glorious. It sounds like the soundtrack to the climactic scene of some epic sci-fi odyssey flick.

1 Like

In Italy there is much more of a market for anthemic rock bands, anything where you can hear the English vocals clearly so you can sing/chant along to.

One of the most extreme examples of me being really into someone then cooling on them suddenly I can think of. Only Idles can compare. I enjoyed In the Back Room a lot, besides the stompers I thought their slower songs like let your good heart lead you home and camera had something about them too, bought all the singles, hunted out the demos from when they were called Snowfield, then even before their second album came out I wasnā€™t bothered anymore. They didnā€™t do anything really to turn me off, I think thereā€™s something a bit hollow about them, bit stodgy, maybe thatā€™s all it was.

Quite like Papillon, IT KICKS LIKE A SLEEP TWITCH. Never seen a band before or since cite the Terminator score as an inspiration.

One of emā€™s in Minor Victories, liked that album and the maudlin modern classical remake he did of it.

Theyā€™re alright, 3

5 Likes

I am very fond of their second album. Might just be nostalgia at this point but I always enjoy it

1 Like

I reckon these guys are actually very good, and I donā€™t think I give them the dues that they give me.

I loved the first album, as per. The second was a bit too Coldplay-ish for my own tastes at the time. Then the third album was a banger, in my opinion. And then Iā€™ve loved almost every off album, basically.

In Dreams is, I think, brilliant. Violence is fine.

a 4 for me, frankly. Hard to find anything I dislike about them, but I wouldnā€™t be going to hugely bat for them if anyone said that they were shite.

3 Likes

Possibly the first band I found too derivative to enjoy. Thatā€™s not to say all the other music I liked at the time wasnā€™t derivative as well but it just felt so obvious with Editors. Abstain because I heard the Back Room so long ago that I can barely remember it but theyā€™re almost certainly a 2.

1 Like

Really liked their first single when it came out so went to see them at Sleazies in 2005 when they were supported by We Are Scientists, that was a fun gig.

Havenā€™t really bothered with anything since the first album but itā€™s still good for what it is, albeit totally unoriginal in terms of sound.

This is still the best version of Bullets

2/5

The saddest thing that Iā€™ve ever seen, were smokers outside the hospital doors.

1 Like

Canā€™t believe heā€™s not watched the start of Up

18 Likes

Was really into them when they first came out and have fond memories of sneaking up to Dublin on a school night to see them play the Olympia around the time of the third album, that was a great gig.

Havenā€™t been bothered listening to them for ages now.

3/5

Saw them on Other Voices recently doing slow acoustic versions of some of their big hitters and it really laid bare how god awful the lyrics are :smiley:

if ever there was a 2 band its editors.

Fine for what they are, mid afternoon festival slot filler. Nothing objectionable but also nothing of note.

1 Like

I know interpol arenā€™t exactly dripping with originality but it seemed very much that Editors saw something and did a not bad version of it.

First album was alright but it was one of those ones where I liked it immediately and then I very quickly lost interest. Whatever radio station I listened to at the time absolutely ruined a few of the big songs for me. Paid them no attention since.

I think Iā€™ve seen them live at a festival but I canā€™t say for certain which pretty much condemns them to a generous 2/5

2 Likes

Used to love them when I was younger. They were really about at the the time and were a gateway to what people might consider more reputable stuff.

Havenā€™t listened to much since the third album really but the first three are still highly listenable even if they arenā€™t quite as exciting as I once found them.

Iā€™ll give them a three. They were there at the right time for me.

1 Like

Donā€™t know anything about them but itā€™s kind of a boring name. Not really sure itā€™s a profession I particularly respect either as editor = boss basically right? Yeah what youā€™ve written is good but what if you changed this bit? fuck off!

2/5

1 Like

Threw my cardigan at them when I was 15 seeing them at Brixton and none of them put it on. 1

8 Likes

In Dream has some good moments on it by the way if people are similar to me in thinking they regressed back to boring alt rock on The Weight of Your Love

Also for certain common nouns it was better when bands were called The Editors and stuff like that.

Just being called Editors or Interpol or Idles or whatever adds this kind of pompous fake gravitas to the concept of playing music that is really off-putting.