🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Mariah Carey

And the greatest ever episode of Cribs

2 Likes

Thats not what I was saying. I was saying that in the point of her career when these claims were rampant she wasn’t well and to say she was in on a joke would be doing it a massive disservice

2 Likes

A handful of songs that ought to be good largely spoiled by grating production and OTT vocals.

An incredible talent used in a largely pretty meh way.

Works best as a guest on other peoples songs where she can come in, nail a chorus and sink back a bit.

Always enjoyed this a huge amount

Dunno. 2?

The joke, not a joke. Sorry I should have phrased it better but I use that a lot to mean when someone’s fully aware of their ridiculous or outlandish behaviour. Elton John for example; always in on the joke.

do you like the song ‘breakdown’

I think nowadays shes deffo become self aware. Reading about it in the peak of her career paints a really sad picture.

1 Like

Oh yeah, like dingers said, it was a really fucked up situation.

1 Like

She is good on Billy On The Street

Don’t really like her music or her voice. 1/5.

I really, REALLY do not like Mariah Carey. I don’t like ANY of her songs, I hate the way she sings. I am voting 1 and I will not be re-entering this thread*

*well, I might. I’ve got a very boring day ahead of me

Comes across as horrible, arrogant and petty. Or, “Diva” for shorthand.

The music is largely naff (haven’t heard close to 90% of it). Fantasy is decent and like the apparent genuine friendship she had with ODB. Great vocals, not great songs.

2/5

Don’t tell @Twinkletoes, he’ll cry.

2 Likes

My Instagram has been tragically bereft of climbing vids recently - bloody baby…

1 Like

Not sure, Shrewbs. I’ll listen to it and then tell you.

1 Like

Hi Shrewbie.

I listened to the song ‘Breakdown’ and these were my thoughts:

1. It’s always impressive when people have a vocal range for “humming”
  2. This sounds a bit like the sort of thing my friend in Primary School, Ricky’s Mum would have had on in her car
  3. I don’t really like Mariah Carey when she’s doing that breathy vocal instead of belting it out
  4. I’m not really hooked by anything here I’m afraid
  5. It’s going to be really hard to break this to Shrewbie
4 Likes

Thank you for being so honest. Ricky’s Mum sounds like a cool lady

1 Like

Her name was Babs and she was the only person I ever encountered who smoked which I found both dangerous and alluring as a younger man.

1 Like

We have the same surname so I often say “like Mariah” when spelling it out so its a 5.

Also:

22 Likes

I’ll abstain again. Only heard about 8 songs, and I really liked Someday/Fantasy as I filed them alongside early 90s US R&B, swingbeat, New Jack Swing, whatever ya call it, plenty of which I love.

But - in what is a common theme here and elsewhere online, and not just about pop, I’m using this thread as a frank truth and reconciliation committee to be honest about past opinions I had - the emphasis on “past” - and atone, maybe apologise for them if people more informed and articulate about the topics in question can provide a better and more informed, articulate perspective. Here goes.

CONFESSION TIME #1: I used to think “Mariah Carey” was shorthand for the cheesiest, most lowbrow, embarrassing 90s/00s music aimed squarely at under-10s, down there with the Spice Girls, Steps and S Club 7. But maybe I’m wrong and maybe I’m a bloody idiot for thinking this because these opinions were formed by boorish, boozed up Oasis dads who only listen to music by people who look and sound like Oasis (and their dads.)

1. might contribute more after work :slight_smile:
1 Like