🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 Nirvana #SSP

kurt cobain was a cool guy but i don’t particularly care for their music tbh. tried quite a few times to get into them

2 Likes

Such a big sound for not much going on

2 Likes

4 for him being cool, 2 for the music, 3 overall

7 Likes

Just had a look for my ‘Sliver’ 7" and it’s not there! How did I lose that?

Seems like a fair system Shrewbs

Listened to them a lot as a teenager, and they were pretty formative for me at the time but I haven’t actively listened to them for years as my tastes have moved in a different direction. Need to think about this one…

1 Like

Here’s a fun album of Hydrahead / noisy bands covering Nevermind. Torche’s version of In Bloom is great.

4 Likes

Just a heads up everyone this is probably the thread where I lose my mind over someone’s hot take.

7 Likes

Used to have this on a bootleg tape. To this day if we’re watching some murder or detective thing and someone says “the killer…” I am compelled to follow it with “woke up in Belgium” and I don’t think I’ll ever stop.

2 Likes

Wait, what? There’s plenty going on.

Only the band that Nirvana could’ve been

6 Likes

Won’t you believe it? It’s just my luck. No Reese’s :sob:

5 Likes

Don’t fall for it Marty

9 Likes

Crazy what you could have had

2 Likes

Hugely important band for me that, alongside rem and the cure, absolutely shaped my teenage listening habits.

Remember Cobain’s death being a significant moment for me in exposing human hypocrisy. For the year or so beforehand nirvana fell hugely out of fashion with the indie kids at my school, they were sell outs, they were too popular, you couldn’t be seen to be listening to them because they were not cool. Then he died and all my mates suddenly went overnight to “we love nirvana!” again. Urrggghhh.

1 Like

Well it’s all so steady though and straight ahead. Sometimes they have a good melody but mostly sounds like there’s 1 or 2 instruments missing from the mix

You Know You’re Right is my favourite.

Gave them 4, same as Beyonce (Gave the Thin White Nonce a 2). Was tempted to knock them down to a three for all the bands they inspired but didn’t think that was fair.

10 Likes

Alright Michael Stipe.

Really enjoy this cheery reworking of Teen Spirit

8 Likes

Being 7 years older than you, I was lucky enough to go through the stage of getting massively into them aged 13 for a couple of months, then deriding them as ‘sell-outs’ when even the jocks were drawing the Nirvana smiley in tippex on their rucksacks. Fucking hell I was an idiot.

5 Likes