Lamont Dozier RIP

I don’t know if other people noticed, but Lamont Dozier sadly died yesterday aged 81.

One of the true geniuses of 20th century popular music and responsible for co-writing more than 30 top ten singles in just seven years between 1963-1970.

Perhaps no-one has ever been as brilliant as Holland, Dozier and Holland at capturing the mix of heartbreak and joy that’s the essence of classic pop music. Let’s celebrate by sharing some of their classic songs

13 Likes

Yeah, saw the news on the BBC website earlier :frowning:

6 Likes

Oh my. He probably wrote some of my favourite songs of all time. Rest in peace

4 Likes

The best. Very sad news.

2 Likes

I love the original obviously, but Laura Nyro’s version of Jimmy Mack is one of the most joyful things ever

3 Likes
9 Likes

Was going to be the next one I posted - great song.

1 Like

Such an incredible body of work. So many of my favourite songs ever. This is so sad.

5 Likes
9 Likes

A ridiculous amount of hits written by one of the best all time. RIP.

9 Likes

These are two of my favourite songs, thanks for those and so many others Lamont

If anyone wants to hear him talk in depth about his career this interview with the Sodajerker podcast guys is good

7 Likes

Actually said ‘shit’ out loud to myself earlier when i read it.
Some people we really will never see the like of again.

I mean…

Aww fuck @Flittermouse had it covered above. Still, listen to it twice!

3 Likes

‘Give Me Just A Little More Time’ is just phenomenal. Didn’t realise he’d written that too. What a talent.

This Post Paid For By PROF$.

1 Like
4 Likes
3 Likes

Whoa this is immense, psychedelic motown. Never heard this.

1 Like
2 Likes

It was a flop at the time, later a massive record on the Northern Soul scene and covered by, amongst others, The Human League and The Fall.

1 Like

Pretty unbelievable legacy really looking at that song list. Admit I didn’t know too much about him but so many of those songs are instant classics

3 Likes

I think to write and produce so many enduring classics in such a short period is probably unprecedented. Perhaps only Lennon and McCartney could rival it.

3 Likes