New releases 15/10/21

Galya Bisengalieva – Aralkum Aralas

Her album Aralkum was one of the modern composition highlights from last year. This remix album adds an electronic sheen to her violin pieces.

From The Mouth Of The Sun – Light Caught The Edges

Warm strings, field recordings, drone-y backdrops, some piano, some saxophone – in many ways a textbook example of borderline uplifting/melancholy modern classical.

4 Likes

Already mentioned by @rustypiss but bears repeating:

Dos Santos - City of Mirrors

Chicago-based alt-Latinx band incorporating traditional Latin American influences along with jazz, soul and funk.

3 Likes

Marco Shuttle- Cobalt Desert Oasis

Really intrigued by this, his usual stock in trade is spacey techno a la Dozzy, Nobu etc but this is features a lot more field recording and acoustic instrumentation. It’s also come out on the excellent Incienso, which put out DJ Python’s album last year.

2 Likes

Joe Harvey-Whyte - Flatland/Spaceland EP

Pedal steer guitar processed into ambient soundscapes.

2 Likes

Regal Worm - The Hideous Goblink

best named band/album of the day with some propulsive psych, FFO King Gizz

5 Likes

Some tasteful electronica from Dark Sky.

3 Likes

Various Artists - Longform Editions 22

Experimental sound installations.

“Longform Editions seeks out singular, extended music pieces that offer a focussed point of listening. Many artists have used the platform to explore an idea or a theme to create an immersive music experience. Editions of four different pieces from four different artists are released every two months through Bandcamp and typical streaming services, as well as via the Longform Editions website.”

This new edition features Yvette Janine Jackson’s Test Flight No. 1, an “etude for a series of compositions themed around commercial space tourism”.

3 Likes

Purple Disco Machine - Exotica

Dancey disco pop bangers.

3 Likes

Love Surfbort! Linda Perry produced as well

New Dean Wareham

I love Galaxie 500, Luna and Dean & Britta. The singles haven’t really grabbed me but looking forward to hearing the whole album.

1 Like

my label mate Atlas Castle released his album today, a mixture of downtempo electronica.

2 Likes

Nice! I had heard they were collaborating but had no idea this was on the horizon

Big thanks for your continued posts in these threads. No idea how much I’ve discovered through you but it must be a lot at this point

3 Likes

so far Xenia Rubinos is great, Hayden Thorpe a bit limp. He’s earned a few more spins though, I like the singles so the rest might reveal itself

Field Music - Another Shot EP

Hmm how to describe Field Music. Indie Art Rock? With their latest releases they’ve been giving me Talking Heads, Beach Boys and latter day Beatles vibes… I dunno

4 Likes

Enjoying this, but it IS surprisingly long. An hour and 15 minutes!

Amazed no one has mentioned PinkPantheress - not normally my kind of thing, but it’s actually really interesting.

Good article here:

3 Likes

If you’re a Tidal user like me, I’m building up the playlist here too:
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/bb71063d-f6cc-407f-9d0f-a89ac24e9764

2 Likes

This was mentioned upthread but really into her voice - nice

1 Like

PinkPantheress - to hell with it

"Lo-fi mash-ups of saccharine-sweet vocals and jungle and drum’n’bass beats, " a TikTok sensation apparently, counts Grimes and Charlie XCX amongst her fans. Sounds like the real deal to me so far.

Pokey LaFarge - In The Blossom Of Their Shade

Upbeat pop record covering a lot of classic American beach and lounge music styles.

Joy Crookes - Skin

Bangladeshi-Irish South Londonder’s honey - voiced neo-soul.

Khalab - The Great Oxidation EP

Afrobeat techno bangers.

2 Likes