New Releases 21/06/19

Hot Chip
And Prince - really looking forward to that arriving.

1 Like

Thanks DiS. Thought today was pretty barren - Hatchie aside - but now I’ve a nice long playlist to keep me going.

Interested to see how different some of the reworkings of Modern Kosmology are (which I really enjoyed, haven’t tried her other stuff).

very minor gripe but strange that the new Black Midi (one listen in; undecided but more positive than negative for sure) doesn’t feature the two prior singles.
Intentional ploy to buck convention perhaps but probably a bit frustrating for those like me that rated these tracks and would have liked them on the record if I like it enough to buy it.
Its a 9 track LP of 43 minutes so I think there would have been space.

For those who like it a bit heavier (but like, latter-day Mastodon heavy) the new Bokassa album is pretty fucking great

1 Like

It’s a studio version of her last tour, isn’t it? I’ve got it pre-ordered, so fingers crossed it’s in the post when I get home (although I ordered from bandcamp, so I should be able to download it).

From my memory, the live version of H>A>K was immense - it sounded my like what I’d associate with the Chemical Brothers than Jane Weaver. Hopefully that wasn’t just the rush of seeing someone I love live and that it’s that good on record too.

i absolutely loved some of the stuff off those Hatchie EP’s but oooft, the album isn’t great is it?

1 Like

Quite enjoying Black Midi - quite proggy in a Floyd sort of way at times. Still not sure about the voice though.
Hot Chip next, then Jane Weaver.

Foals pulled the same annoying trick when their debut came out too.

1 Like

Hot Chip, obvs.

Also picked up Plaid’s new one from a couple of weeks back. From what I’ve heard so far it’s the best thing they’ve done in 15 years or so.

1 Like

Three new BM albums I’ll be checking out today;

Eskapism - Ancient Songs of the Wind
Heard this on a stream earlier in the week, excellent, if you enjoyed Drawn Into Descent earlier in the year you should give this a whirl.

Spell of Dark - The Vastness

Bull of Apis Bull of Bronze - Offerings of Flesh and Gold

2 Likes

Haha wtf, just opened up Plaid and there’s no fucking disc in it. GOOD JOB, WARP.

These guys are very silly indeed. I haven’t quite decided if they’re too silly or just silly enough.

They are exactly silly enough

Listening to the new Hot Chip. Think there could be an argument that this is their best album as a whole. Deffo doesn’t get bogged down like a lot of their releases, not sure if it has the highs of their best work yet but overall I think it could be their strongest?

Christ, totally forgot about the new MP album. LOVED the last one.

What a day for new stuff eh

Richard Reed Parry - Quiet River of Dust, Vol. 2: That Side of the River

Hatchie record is beautiful

1 Like

AOTY contender right here, first time I’ve enjoyed a dream pop/synthpop album like this for… well a really fucking long time. It’s very warm, melodic and well written. And doesn’t sound washed out and drenched in reverb which is what a lot of music like this falls into the trap of. Stunning IMHO

2 Likes

I bloody love Prince.

4 Likes