New releases – 22 July 2022

Tanya Tagaq is great, didn’t realise she’d released a record this year gonna get on it

1 Like

The Maghreban - Connection

Jazzy, Middle-Eastern influenced house.

2 Likes

Really good, this.

1 Like

clipping - CLBBNG

Horror rap dance remix EP.

3 Likes

Not technically out today but came out earlier this week - FREE.99 and their latest ep ‘OUT FOR BLOOD’. Catchy, intense, heavily distorted electronica with an extremely cluttered and chaotic sound. I think the production is really interesting and there’s just so much going on in each track.

For fans of: The Prodigy, 100 Gecs, Crystal Castles, Black Dresses, Death Grips. It’s a bit hard to pin down their influences because it does sound really fresh imo, and it’s all very cyberpunk in a way that’s super engaging and raw. I’ve been pretty much obsessed with this band (their other EPs are also great) but it’s really escalated now.

Carlos Niño & Friends - Extra Presence

Expanded version of a bandcamp-only release from 2020, this improvisational spiritual jazz double LP features Jamael Dean, Nate Mercereau, Shabazz Palaces, Sam Gendel, Miguel Atwood-Fergus and Jamire Williams among the ‘friends’.

3 Likes

stuck this on and thought it was going to be terrible but i was totally sold by the time track 3 ended

clever how the choruses are big but there are no (or very little) harmonies or double tracked vocals anywhere

Nice

1 Like

Sam Prekop & John McEntire - Sons Of

Really nice chilled synthy jams from two members of popular vegan cafe The Sea and Cake.

4 Likes

Nice little B-sides EP from Julien Baker

2 Likes

Another nice EP from Peach Fuzz ( feat. Raffaella and Samia)

Pool kids album - twinkly math-influenced emo music from florida.

3 Likes

Really liking this.

She & Him (Zooey and M Ward) doing a Brian Wilson tribute album

1 Like

Great album cover

1 Like

Anthony Naples - Swerve

Let’s just pretend last year’s foray into real-instrument dulltronica didn’t happen; Naples is back where he belongs at a weird angle on the dancefloor with an EP of “bangers-not-bangers”.

Couple of soundtracks out today that seem worth checking out:

Joseph Shabason - Stanleyville OST

Galya Bisengalieva - Hold Your Breath: The Ice Dive

mainly Traams and hopefully more shoegaze bliss from indoor voices (which was technically last week but wasn’t flagged by normal channels and I only discovered the other day via a spur of the moment search as I really dug his last LP and he came to mind) -

But not mentionned I think is John Moreland - Bird in the ceiling whose track on the Uncut cd I liked. According to Rough Trade:

A compelling blend of acoustic folk and avant-garde pop playfulness, Birds in the Ceiling lives confidently in a space of its own, enriched by tradition but never encumbered by it.

Chucho Valdés & Paquito D’Rivera Reunion Sextet - I Missed You Too!

Afro-Cuban jazz from two Cuban masters. This is delightful stuff, warm and effortlessly brilliant playing.

1 Like

Couple of bubbling electronic ambient releases

james n murray - an emerald necklace

velt - allotrope

Sean Nicholas Savage - Shine

New SNS album, although I think I’m missing his previous poppier upbeat albums than this more ballady kind of affair.