Offensive songs that everyone seems to be fine with for some reason.

For a track that still gets played regularly at wedding discos, kid’s parties and daytime commercial radio, I’m always a bit surprised that no one bats an eyelid at hearing House Of Pain giving it “If your girl steps up I’m smacking the ho”.

Same goes for “I always get it up for the touch of the younger kind” in My Sharona.

Are there similar, or worse, examples?

2 Likes

Gary glitter is blacklisted but Michael Jackson’s hits are fine appaz

6 Likes

Brown sugar

6 Likes

Greased Lightning has absolutely gross lyrics

8 Likes

Also Umbelievable by EMF says 'what the fuck’loads and uncensored

3 Likes

Not offensive exactly but imagine being on the receiving end of this bullshit “apology” from Back for Good

Whatever I said
Whatever I did, I didn’t mean it
I just want you back for good
Whenever I’m wrong
Just tell me the song and I’ll sing it

“I’m not going to actually admit to any wrongdoing or make any actual changes, just going to pretend to agree with you any time you complain about something bad I’ve done”

Umm how about you fuck off?

18 Likes

Yeah but I’m thinking about the content of the song rather than the conduct of the artist. Tho when you learn that the guy from The Knack was a 27yo genuinely pursuing a real-life 16yo called Sharona, that makes it even worse.

4 Likes

The “If her daddy’s rich, take her out for a meal,
If her daddy’s poor, just do what you feel” from Mungo Jerry’s In The Summertime is pretty bleak.

10 Likes

‘Have a drink, have a drive’ has aged pretty badly too!

14 Likes

Snowflakes

Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung is a great song but those lyrics are not

Wrong thread.

4 Likes

Yellow man in Timbuktu
Colour for both me and you
Kung Fu Fighting
Dancing Queen
Tribal Spaceman
And all that’s in between

4 Likes

Blurred Lines is basically about raping women

6 Likes

Don’t know that one mate how does it go

10 Likes

Ha is that spice girls?

Horrendous

1 Like

Yeah, still on the radio all the time.

1 Like

Summer Nights too: ‘did she put up a fight’

3 Likes

Do you know I had the exact same thought yesterday when they played Jump Around uncensored on 6music during the day. Why isn’t there a radio edit for that song? Weird.

1 Like

Was pretty surprised to hear Ignition Remix at Brighton Fringe this year, just innocuously in the background. It is a banger though and the song itself is harmless, can’t Rihanna do a cover or something so it can remain a staple