'Perfect' songs

You know, songs with no fat, nothing extraneous, the perfect blend of catchy hooks and musical goodness. There aren’t many. What do you reckon?

I’ve made a playlist of my 16.

Any more nominations?

15 Likes

You know I nearly went with No. 13 Baby, but opted for Velouria.

Waterloo Sunset is one I reckon

4 Likes

Good shout. The Kinks were actually very good at this, weren’t they? Knew how to craft a catchy tune.

I love that you’ve got If… on there.

13 Likes

Will always make me think of Vic and Bob. Delightful.

2 Likes

Interesting discussion isn’t it. It’s maybe easier to nominate pop songs because they have well known structures and that.

Reckon Green Onions is a perfect song

1 Like

Just the right mix of melancholy and joy

2 Likes

They have many more than this and I want to post them all, but I’ll go with Mayonaise.

4 Likes

Toyed with a few Pumpkins songs, and I do love them, don’t worry, but I reckon they’ll all a little bit guilty of including a bit too much of something. Whether it’s layering, or a wanky solo, or a lengthy middle 8 which whilst excellent is unnecessary.

1 Like

How dare you?

2 Likes

I mean Tonight Tonight is basically incredible, but you couldn’t call it condensed perfection.

Great lyrics. Great Chorus. All time great song.

9 Likes
14 Likes

Haha, I nearly had Lipgloss.

1 Like

On the non-Corgan front, A Murder of One by Counting Crows is absolute perfection. The emotion, the way those choruses come in, the way it keeps escalating with the lyrics, that build, that final explosion. I really think it’s one of the few best songs ever written.

3 Likes

Elliott Smith has a ton of candidates, but Waltz #2 might be the safest bet.

10 Likes

E’s and Wizz would be great too! So many brilliantly crafted songs.

1 Like

Yes, good call. I would have also accepted Tomorrow Tomorrow, which an absolute all-timer.