The Divine Comedy - a thread of appreciation

New reissues announced. Some of the albums on vinyl are really difficult to get hold off, so looking forward to these. CDs look good too, with additional bsides etc.

https://thedivinecomedy.com/news/venus-cupid-folly-and-time-thirty-years-of-the-divine-comedy

5 Likes

Lovely stuff. I’ve lost my copy of Promenade so this is absolutely ideal. Also, I want to go to all the live shows, but if pushed I’d go for the Absent Friends/Victory for the Comic Muse one…

I would go for this too probably, not going to London but hopefully he does some Belfast ones at some stage

1 Like

Well over the moon about this.

They were meant to be released back in 2007, but then the digital disruption happened and the project was cancelled. Really glad it’s finally seeing the light of day though because there’s a LOT on those bonus discs to excite.

Really tempted to see Regeneration performed with an 11 piece string section. No idea what that’s going to be like.

1 Like

I’ve got my old Divine Comedy excitement back after seeing this announcement! I’ve just ordered the cd boxset, and will see if I decide to get any of them on vinyl as well.
Will definitely go to the first three gigs, although the next two gigs / four albums are less exciting, but will probably still want to go to them too. expensive month!

1 Like

I’ll happily double-dip on Casanova, Short Album About Love and Fin de Siecle, and have a damn good think about Liberation and Promenade too. Not sure I can stretch the £125 for the box-set, either financially or my need for every Divine Comedy release.

Not usually a fan of these big boxsets but man that is wonderful.

Cannot wait to get hold of one.

3 Likes

I’m tempted to go mad and buy all the album vinyl reissues for £200…

2 Likes

The value for money here is bonkers.

2 Likes

I think you have just cost me £125

2 Likes

Bloody hell.

Trying to save for a house here…

Wow that’s really nice.

Speaking of the Divine Comedy , don’t know if there was much talk here but I really enjoyed last year’s Office Politics. I lean towards here more “whacky” stuff then the straight chamber pop, so it was right up my street. I like how he really tried some new things here, actually made use of the double album format trying all sorts of different things, some hit a few missed but isn’t that the point of double albums.

3 Likes

Missed the first 30 mins but got it streaming on the tv now - everything seems like it should be

1 Like

F’ing love this cover

2 Likes

I went along to the gig at the Barbican and LOVED it so much. I was a bit surprised at having to wear a mask (seeing as my other socially distanced gig at a different venue last week didn’t require a mask when you were sat down), but the songs were great and flew by so I barely noticed. It was just so great to have an hour of songs that I love (and in many cases have loved for years) and not thinking about anything else.

I’m still unconfident that his five proper gigs next September will go ahead, so it was perfect to just have this mini gig as well/instead!

Looking forward to watching the stream of the gig tomorrow too!

4 Likes

Sounds great! To The Rescue was the highlight for me. Hate saying this cliche but I wish they would mix up the sets a bit more; heard a lot of those songs live so many times. Thought the live stream worked really well though, the sound quality and visuals were great. Nice interview at the end as well.

Yep, To The Rescue is such an excellent song. This gig seemed like a ‘best of’ kind of set, especially as it was just an hour long. I hope they get to do the full album shows next year, as that’ll be great hearing all of the other songs that he never plays.

I missed out on tickets for those. Remember it being announced and feeling overwhelmed and don’t make me pick one! And then not doing anything about any of them. Should of done really, would love to hear Through a Long & Sleepless Night live.

A few of the nights still have tickets (maybe they’ve been re-released). But not the Casanova night I’m afraid.

When A Man Cries. Powerful. The remaster is beautiful. x