The Puppet Master (Netflix true crime documentary)

About halfway through this. Absolutely fascinating and pretty chilling. Still trying to get over my initial thought that all these people must be idiots (apart from the woman’s dad, he’s great) and see it from their point of view but still. Anyone into it?

Not started it but keep hearing people bang on about it, so maybe I’ll make a start.

Thought everyone was on about this for a good while…

The_Puppets

2 Likes

This normally really puts me off, but in this case I hadn’t heard anything about it!

1 Like

Yeah. Saw this as there’s only three episodes and one was about 30 minutes.

Pretty good. Not necessarily gripping but definitely very watchable and I can see how the slow drip drip of lies from a scumbag who likes controlling people can work unfortunately.

Worth a watch for those considering doing so.

1 Like

Yeah I can see that. I think most of my disbelief was at how easily the first guy bought his story that he worked for MI5 and didn’t question any of it initially.

2 Likes

Also the length of it is definitely a plus point. Not like the usual Netflix thing of padding out a crime doc to about 12 parts with most of it being close ups of detectives drinking a whisky or slow-motions of doors slamming.

1 Like

I might have got it totally wrong but wasn’t someone at the bloke’s uni/college found out as an actual gun runner for The IRA. Mr Evil then built his lie upon that somewhat.

1 Like

Yeah that’s right, and I know that would play a part and the prevalence of the IRA etc would have influenced the guy but still. I guess we’re looking at it now from a time when it’s easy to quickly check up on someone and verify things too.

1 Like

Yeah, the first group got lied to during a time before the internet and so it’s easier to sell someone a lie about your identity. He gave false names to the second family he befriended but the internet did exist then. Shame they didn’t get extremely curious early on and attempt to look into him.

1 Like

Cw: proper spoiler

Holy moly I didn’t realise that the bit with the two kids who haven’t seen their mum for years was AFTER he’d been caught for the other stuff then released and is still ongoing!