Unkle

I didn’t know this was a thing either, then saw this and picked it up. Watched it last night and it was very enjoyable.

Was a massive Mo Wax fan after hearing Entroducing when it came out then followed the label for a good while. As @anon19035908 says upthread though, by the time UNKLE followed up PF it completely passed me by. I definitely had a bee in my bonnet about James Lavelle getting lots of credit but appearing to do not a lot. DJ shadow looked like a trapped man by the time PF finally came out. remember seeing Lavelle DJ also and he was shit. Of course he played some absolute bangers but his chops were non existent if i recall.

Literally just remembered i saw ‘UNKLE’ with Idlewild in Warwick with 2 other bands i can’t remember on an NME tour. Think it was James Lavelle and scratch perverts doing UNLKE maybe? THey were good then but that’s because they were playing PF tunes with some incredible turntablism (haven’t written that word for a while :smiley: )

Anyway, the film - really enjoyed it. The first part of the film properly took me back and today i am going to listen to a lot of that 90’s mo wax run… I’d had no idea about what he’d done since the early 00’s though and found it interesting. Wasn’t expecting it to be quite so depressing mind but enjoyed the culmination with meltdown and did feel a bit emotional when shadow walked back in!

Was really stressful watching them trying to finish that album with Chris Goss (was surprised he was so involved with Lavelle to be honest) and its pretty sad seeing Lavelle trying to recapture the spark of the 90’s.

He’s a funny character though, clearly had some sense and a lot of drive to get to where he was but then it all fell apart. He seemed to make some poor decisions and waste a lot of money (the fact he talks about debt a lot but has that warehouse full of incredibly cool mo wax stuff is funny).

I dunno how i feel about him! It asks in the film if he was taking advantage of all this talent to make his name, or did a lot of the talent take advantage of him to reach a bigger audience? A bit of both. I do think it’s quite telling how he had a number of fallouts (starting with shadow) over songwriting credits. Absolutely on Shadows side following UNKLE. Equally though, its incredible how the UNKLE project was so hyped up over the years and then when it came out everyone turned on him asking what did he actually do! Remember that at the time even and it was bizarre.

Favourite bit was probably shadow crawling through the basement of records with a torch in hand then listening for samples on that little portable turntable.

Going to try and find a copy of the fillm Scratch. ANyone seen that? used to love it and think that will be a ridiculous nostalgia fest!

Long boring post sorry! Thanks @Mistersteve though. Really enjoyed the trip down memory lane!

5 Likes

Yeah, exactly this. Made some very questionable decisions, but also made a massive success of himself from nothing (and then admittedly squandered it).

Found it really interesting watching this whole backstory to a bunch of records I know quite well. Glad they did a decent chunk on Psyence Fiction too, which is clearly the highlight. Shadow comes out of it really well I think, and rightly so.

And yeah, I was really surprised at the Chris Goss input too. Like, he’s literally sat there writing and recording songs, and Lavelle’s just stressing. Genuinely quite ridiculous how little input Lavelle had, especially musically, and then tried to say it was all about ‘the idea’ (plus he got his artsy friend in the doc to say the same thing. I dunno James, I really like the badass drums Shadow sampled…

2 Likes

I went to the London show of that tour. Was good. Ian Brown came on for the encore to sing Be There and the crowd got so excited that a wave of crowd surfing broke out - comfortably the most sedate song I’ve seen crowd surfing during :+1:

1 Like

yeah, i agree! That video had a real effect on me when i first saw it late night on MTV2 or something. Amazing video. The last time i looked it was on Youtube, but only in a really crap quality version.

1 Like

I’ve got the scratch DVD I bought years ago, but I think it’s NSTC so I don’t think I’ve got anything that will play it anymore!

I think I first heard of UNKLE on some late night channel 4 programme about Shynola, and the combination of Drums of Death and the cool fuzzy animation of the robot things was a combination I had to get involved with.

1 Like

Yeah - I remember it even got a nomination for Best Video at the MTV Europe Music Awards (and Sigur Ros wound up winning for their also disturbing video for Untitled 1)

I read an article about the first album in Loaded which had interviews with Lavelle and Shadow and quite a few of the guests (Jason Newstead, BDB, Ad Rock) but surprisingly not Thom Yorke.

Use to love psyenec fiction but haven’t listened to it in years. Really should remedy that.

I remember going to visit a pal who lived in edinburgh at the time, we got so stoned and i drove home (i don’t condone drug driving) about 1am with lonely soul blasting and on repeat the whole way home.
I was enjoying listening to it so much i drove about 45 mins past my flat and then back. Just lonely soul, nothing else. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really like the first album and it was massively important to me alongside mezzanine, hello nasty, new forms and the first 2 chemical brothers albums to lean me towards electronic, dance and hip hop music. I just loved the original gate fold cd. I was less keen on never, never land although it still has a few good songs. I loved those mixes though I’ve got them all on c.d. can’t remember where I bought them but they were expensive at the time. I remember seeing them live at Readings festival. I had watched RHCP jam for about 10 mins which was dreadful and so chipped off to the dance stage and really enjoyed UNKLE, saw James lavelle dj once at fabric in the early 00’s but can’t remember a thing about it. Don’t think he played any UNKLE.

1 Like
1 Like

Watched the film last night - very enjoyable. Played the story arc well, from boom to bust to redemption with Meltdown.

Man, it seems like he burnt some bridges on the way. One of the most telling parts for me is when they are trying to finish the fourth album and can’t get any collaborators to sing on it - I was thinking, “You’re UNKLE ffs, just get your black book out surely?!?” As others have said, DJ Shadow came out of this well, but also liked Pablo from The Psychonauts.

The 90s stuff was VERY nostalgic for me as I was big into that scene at the time - had the Mo’Wax t-shirt and everything. Completely agree with Lavelle’s approach to design and making records beautiful objects although that comes at a cost. Particularly as they note in the film when that coincided with the filesharing era. Seeing the massive CD packaging of Where Did The Night Fall makes me want to go up in the attic and find my copy. Recall that the vinyl of their most recent album was about £50 on release :rofl:

Seen them live a bunch of times, starting with the DJ Shadow-less Psyence Fiction tour. Always enjoy whatever incarnation they are at the time. Hope they make it back out on the road sometime…

3 Likes

UNKLE vinyl really does seem to accumulate in value though. I know this is not the be all and end all of prices but I did buy the 50 vinyl as a completist and they go for 2-300 on Discogs already…

Fair enough - they are designed nicely and I can imagine definitely appeal to collectors!

Was the CD of Where Did The Night Fall the one which was vacuum packed, and you basically had to stick a knife into the packaging and pry the CD out? Might have been War Stories instead.

This early 12 was vacuum sealed so the ‘sleeve’ was pretty useless after opening

1 Like

It’s a fold out holder for the CDs and the artwork within a box/sleeve…

2 Likes

Ah yeah I remember that one now. It was War Stories I was thinking of – once the vacuum packaging was off, it was impossible to remove the inner packaging from the box of the 2CD version without actually forcing it out using a knife or similar.

1 Like

I must have the standard version of War Stories as I don’t remember this at all :thinking:

Just had a look at mine (don’t think I’ve played it as I had the vinyl) and yep, that isn’t coming out without damage!

3 Likes