What Is Music podcast

Anyone else come across this. Entirely on brand for this site, the current series on Radiohead sucked me in. They’ve also covered Manic Street Preachers, Muse and Billie Eilish.

Long form discussions about each artist’s catalogue and career, around 3-4 hours per album. As with all podcasts your mileage will vary depending on how much you enjoy the hosts. I found them a little irritating at first, but once I got their sense of humour a bit more I enjoyed it. Didn’t take too long to click.

Anyway, have provided an enjoyable background to my various errands and journeys over the last couple of weeks and thought that others here might enjoy:

3 Likes

Not much, what is Music podast with you?

14 Likes

Might have to look into this. The idea of a Cane and Rinse podcast but for albums is very up my street

1 Like

Yeah, big fan of this. I like how they break up the album chronology with episodes on tangentially related stuff too - like the Meeting People Is Easy watch-along, interviews with producers etc.

Absolutely nailed on that the main host has an account on here I reckon….

2 Likes

Yeah, I was listening to their shortlist for next season and my thoughts were that this is essentially “Drowned in Sound - the Podcast”

1 Like

I really like it, I came for the Manics, and then nearly didn’t bother with the Muse season, but actually enjoyed it without once considering listening to the band Muse.

The jokes/mucking about started off being potentially annoying but has become the main reason I listen now, especially as they have opened up on various parts of their personal life and mental health.

I hope they don’t end up doing a season on My Chemical Romance though…

2 Likes

Tempted to give this a try but not sure I can commit to a podcast where they are ~30 hours into their Radiohead season and they’ve yet to get to Amnesiac.

Giving this a listen while i work today (starting at the beginning with the Manics) and I am really enjoying it. I am really pleased there is someone on the podcast that focuses on the music and melody with songs first rather than the lyrics as this how I approach music listening and most of the podcast I have listened to in the past the lyrics seem to be the singular most important thing.

Only on the first episode but at the moment the back and forth between the hosts is really enjoyable and their humour is pitched just at the right level for me. I’m also enjoying the structure they have where one of them is a super fan and the others are more coming at the albums as a first time/casual listen for a lot of them.

Baby don’t hurt me

3 Likes

I ended up giving the radiohead season a go and am totally hooked. I’d echo all the positive comments above. It’s so enjoyable it might even tempt me to go back and properly revisit the first 4 Muse albums.

I kinda enjoyed the first couple of Muse episodes but I really like Showbiz so couldn’t deal with them just slagging it off so gave up. Probably says more about me than them though!

1 Like