100 Greatest Emo Songs List

I’ll level with you, I haven’t heard of a lot of these bands, I just posted this list to generate some good #content as is my wont.

1 Like

Opened the list and expected to see a Brand New song on there, then remember what happened. Lots of stuff to check out there I haven’t heard before though.

2 Likes

Can’t really argue with number one that much.

Pleased to see the delightful Planetary by Rainer Maria up so high too.

1 Like

‘let my legs shake me to sleep and don’t wake me when I sweat on my sheets’

Good one two tbh.

Paramore 6

I’m ooht

3 Likes

Although they’re not always my cup of tea, overlooking funeral for a friend seems a bit hmm too. In favour of a band that is largely DIY indiepop but retroactively call themselves emo??? (and shows how America centric the list is)… As if they didn’t understand much about the UK scene.

I note no Finch either, and What it is to burn is one of the most classic emo bangers ever. Very little screamo, which again, whilst not everyone’s cup of tea seems an oversight to dismiss entirely. Something like Mercury Rising by From Autumn to Ashes would not be out of place on this list.

Basically I have lots of opinions.

6 Likes

Surprised how much of this list I know and how many I’ve been to see play. Either I’m more emo than I thought I was or they’ve been liberal with the definition. Whichever it is, I was pleased to see my dorky tastes repped with LC! and also Motion City Soundtrack, Committ This To Memory is legit one of my all time favourite albums and I feel they always get overlooked.

Also reminded me how much I love that The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die album, bumping that now for the first time in a few years

Good shout on the heavier stuff. Should have had some Grade as well

That said, I was surprised to see Lifetime in there. Love 'em, but don’t think of them as emo at all.

3 Likes

Literally know about 10 of these

2 Likes

Decent enough list covering a decent amount of ground. Will enjoy listening to the playlist.

Needs more Kerrang bands

9 Likes

If they were going to go with the full spread of emo, which i approve of, I think Drug Church were unlucky to miss out. For one of their emo songs, of course.

1 Like

Surprised this one didn’t make it.

I only just realised now that character’s not called Emo. Bugger.

1 Like

I reckon the Hot Water Music version from their split is one my favourite ever cover.

1 Like

I’d have gone for Forever Longing for the Golden Sunsets for the Appleseed Cast track (If only allowed one) and AntiHero if more.

Surprised at no Botch on the list.

Happy with the choice of Chinatown for the Jets to Brazil track.

I can only hope they aren’t classing Hot Water Music as Emo to not have anything on the list.

1 Like

Can’t believe The Hotelier weren’t on the list.

Wasn’t Your Deep Rest in there?

1 Like

just in case anyone was mildly interested, the bands I’d seen were Jejune, Elliot, Jets To Brazil and At The Drive In.

The one I missed due to being catastrophically hungover despite having bought a ticket was, and this will conclusively prove once and for all that I am a total dickhead, Texas Is The Reason. I don’t think I have a bigger musical regret.

2 Likes