Alex G

5 Likes

ooh (though £30 for the vinyl, when his previous ones always seemed to be about £20 … ugh)

I’m looking forward to the new album, the recent soundtrack he did had some great stuff on it.

Norman have it for 22.49 on black vinyl.

1 Like

Blessing - dig it, though will take a while to get used to those HUHS! Kinda wish it was all just built around that buzzing synth though, sounds massive

Runner - instantly one of his mini classics, sounds timeless but so him as well. Miss the haze of his own recording, but it sounds pretty great and I can see how a change could have motivated him differently. Lovely piano flourishes

1 Like

Got into Alex G with Beach Music, (standouts: Bug, Salt, and Snot). Rocket’s also quite good and was one of my most played that year (standouts: Proud, Bobby, Judge). I sort of felt like House of Sugar was a step down at first but it’s grown on me, like it as much as the other two at this point (really don’t like SugarHouse though). Still feel all 3 of these albums lack some consistency and while they have great highs, there are always some mediocre tracks that bring the overall rating down. Like I can’t rate any of these albums over 7/10 even though I keep them in rotation and really love some of the songs.

Prior to House of Sugar I’d checked out DSU and Trick but have only played each twice so far, they didn’t do much for me I guess, maybe no songs that reached the highs I’ve heard on more recent ones.

Wonder what Smashing Pumpkins #1 fan @TAFH33 thinks of this.

1 Like

Hadn’t heard this before, thanks for calling me in here - I like it, a very good reminder to keep going with his discography. It reminds me a lot of Strange Ranger actually on first listen. House of Sugar was one of my big growers of 2020, I’ll give this one a shot next.

I was curious if you picked up on the Siamese Dream vibe here, there’s a particular song that always comes to mind in the first few minutes of “Snot” (music and vocal delivery) but I keep forgetting which one.

Oh shoot, I think I do hear it now, but I can’t quite pin down one song - it’s almost like a mix of Hummer, Rocket, and Spaceboy?

(edit - I’m actually kind of hearing Clumsy by Our Lady Peace, who used to get accused of ripping off the Pumpkins funny enough)

Phwoar, Runner! Absolutely wonderful. I always enjoy his albums (esp HOS and Rocket) but don’t reach for them often enough. Need to change that.

Oo! Love Blessing, too.

3 Likes

Love ‘Runner’.

So many of his best songs sound deceptively simple / familiar but take a weird turn somewhere or follow their own odd internal logic.

3 Likes

Can’t stop listening to it - feel like he’s cracked the code with this and Blessing. THAT bit in the bridge of runner might be my favourite musical moment of the year so far, sounds brand new but like it’s always existed.

2 Likes

Also had this recent score. Most of it is quite backgroundy instrumentals which is no surprise, but these two are classic alex

1 Like

https://twitter.com/SANDYalexg/status/1541693264713043968?t=4Nvxu7l66BW34pINXW7gqw&s=19

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/sandyalexg/status/1541693264713043968?s=21&t=7aZejQmTGlJvGkPLKcQXsA

:laughing:

2 Likes

Eager Alex G fans, although the list of cities is not ideal for me. Forever cursing Birmingham promoters pull.

1 Like

Guys, Alex G has just announced a tour

2 Likes

he’s doing Newcastle and Edinburgh on August 22 and 23 this year also - had assumed that was part of a bigger tour but appears to be its own little thing post-Green Man