Any music related resolutions?

Or challenges you’re setting yourself?

Mine’s to continue carving out time each week to better understand the environmental impact the music industry is having and how to address it.

Was a brief discussion about this here earlier in the year

Not be so anal retentive over my listening habits.

Buy a practice pad and re-learn drum fundamentals without annoying my housemates and neighbours.

Have a nice time.

6 Likes

Resolution No 9

11 Likes

To finally listen to The National.

This Post Paid For By PROF$.

3 Likes

Actually, no, fuck that.

This Post Paid For By PROF$.

26 Likes

Going to listen to less new music.

3 Likes

Going to join Radiohead

8 Likes

Try to be more aware of upcoming shows. Missed out on numerous gigs this past year - Cate Le Bon, HAAi, Mabe Fratti etc

2 Likes

Try to release some of my own

6 Likes

Each year I have a list of artists that I want to explore more. Next year: Charli xcx, The Manics, Nat King Cole, MF Doom, The Clash, Deerhoof, Isaac Hayes, Branko Mataja, The Pharcyde. I like singles or albums from all of them, just haven’t fully explored the back catalogue for whatever reason.

I’m going to try to listen to slightly fewer new albums but I’ve gone a tad overboard the last couple of years

7 Likes

RESOLUTION! RESOLUTION! RESOLUTION!

Motown Junk plays

11 Likes

Listen to less, more often. I’m like a magpie with shiny new stuff, does my own head in

5 Likes

Less a resolution, more of an idea. I’d like to make some kind of music this year. I can’t play any instruments and never written any music in my life before and gave zero idea what to do, but there’s an itch developing in my brain and I want to scratch it.

So I ordered a little midi keyboard and I’m going to start messing about in Garageband. This year I’m going to explore making music/sounds of some kind. It will probably sound awful and I’ll give up after a few goes, but I want to try!

8 Likes

Have a go at recording some sounds into your phone (hitting pots, switching on kettles whatever) and learn how to trigger those with your Midi keyboard…really good and fun way of making interesting sounds

2 Likes

Yup, I’ve been recording little sounds here and there and want to start doing that very thing!

2 Likes

Mine’s to set aside some time to watch Pumpkins concerts with undivided attention instead of just listening to concerts while doing other things.

2 Likes

I’m the opposite. I get so comfortable in my nest that I’m always late getting to new stuff. Gets worse every year as the vast library of stuff I already love and want to listen to again grows.

Maybe my resolution should be to worry less about whether I’m listening to music right or not.

2 Likes

It begins… best decision I ever made was taking the plunge with music production. Changed and enriched my life beyond anything I could have imagined. Let me know if you need any pointers to get you off the ground.

2 Likes

Thank you! I have no plan, no ability and no means. Not sure what to expect from it. But just a feeling buried deep that I want to try.

(I still absolutely adore your album by the way)

3 Likes

Pretty much where I started. Jam until you come across something you think sounds good, save it, repeat. Go back to stuff and fuck around with it until it sounds better, repeat. Eventually it approaches music and you have accidentally taught yourself a load of stuff in the process - also probably enough to know what to focus on next in terms of learning more.

3 Likes