Arctic Monkeys

Four Out Of Five become one of my favourite songs of the year after a few listens

The album is outselling the rest of the top 20 in the charts combined at the moment. Good news in a way because it will annoy the lads, lads, lads members of their fan base even more.

I like how reactions here have gone from ‘LOL this album sounds terrible’ to a number of people saying ‘hey, it’s pretty good!’ in the space of a week

They’ve been doing this old B side from AM era live this month and it totally fits with this album; echoes, high pitched vocals, restrained guitar etc

think the last three songs are quite shit really. she looks like fun sounds like a bside, batphone doesn’t go anywhere and the last song is proper corny (hence the title i guess). like everything else though.

I like the closer but yeah She Looks Like Fun / Batphone are by far the worst songs on it.

Fair comment?

http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4151791-too-clever-for-their-own-good-on-arctic-monkeys-art-amp-critical-kickings

Lots of fair points there. Although I am confused at the derision of ‘beer-swilling #lads’ and their apparent hatred of the record - maybe I just haven’t seen any, but most fan reactions I’ve seen are in the more measured area of ‘Wow this is quite different, hopefully it’s a grower’ etc. The article’s right about the music press’ snobbery, though.

Have you been checking out comments in response to posts from their official Facebook account? Because that’s where they all are.

this was the piece I found myself agreeing with the most:

Not usually where I’d go for an evaluation of an indie band’s hyped summer release but it’s really good

Yes, this is good. Thanks.

Great stuff, personally thought this track was a standout from the first few listens.

I’ve tried, but it sounds too close to Last Shadow Puppets (who I hate with a rare and fierce anger). It seems really arch and a little too knowing, but not in a fun way, just really dull. I will try again this week and see how I get on. Still pisses me off that any time a publication quotes the band, they include “accent” stuff. Fucks sake

really like the fact that the author, who seemingly only wears turtlenecks in real life, finishes the review with the line ‘i still think the dress code is preposterous’ :smiley:

Yeah the official Reddit has tons of the ‘anti’ stuff too, goes without saying that it’s all over Twitter but that’s casual fans/one-CD-a-year merchants. The reddit is the hardcore and it’s gone down like a knackered lift with a lot of them.

only just clocked ‘good morning, cheeseburger’ :rofl:

Totally agree. Always esp been into That’s Where Your Wrong…

‘Critical kickings’?? The critics have loved it though. Q mag gave it 5 stars!

I think if there’s been a backlash it’s the other way round; people thinking they’d not like it or maybe didn’t at first who now DO like it having lived with it. There’s a lot of that around.

That’s easily one of their best songs.