Are eSports actually sport?

The BBC have decided so:

I feel very out of touch. Why do gamers need nutritionists??

The amount of money that’s available in US college eSports scholarships is absolutely mind-blowing.

MIND-BLOWING.

No. Games.

6 Likes

They’re more of a sport than…[reaches into beeve hat]…rugby.

24 Likes

Look forward to Final Phantasy Final Score being read out each Saturday afternoon

2 Likes

Yeah

1 Like

Everything is a sport

3 Likes

Welcome to my TED talk

2 Likes

Game.

I would class e-Sports in the same category as darts

1 Like

Had a look the other day but the boy wanted Fortnite and there’s none on there. What we did see was boring as piss but I guess I’m not the target audience.

This.

Its not a surprise that people who are pursuing loads of $$$ are prepared to spend money for them marginal gains.

No different to a snooker player doing the same really. As long as we’re talking about a professional Jimmy Whites Whirlwind Snooker eSports player using an Atari ST.

Labeling video games as sports is a controversial topic.[57][58][59]Proponents[ who? ] argue that esports are a fast-growing “non-traditional sport” which requires “careful planning, precise timing, and skillful execution.”[60] Detractors[ who? ] claim that sports involve physical fitness and physical training, and prefer to classify esports as a mind sport.[61][62]

In 2014, then-ESPN president John Skipper described esports as “not a sport – [they’re] a competition.”[63][64][65][66][67][68] In 2013 on an episode of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel the panelist openly laughed at the topic.[69]In addition, many in the fighting games community maintain a distinction between their competitive gaming competitions and the more commercially connected esports competitions of other genres.[70] In the 2015 World Championship hosted by the International Esports Federation, an esports panel of guests from international sports society discussed the future recognition of esports as a legitimate sport.[71]

China was one of the first countries to recognize esport as a real sport in 2003, despite concerns at the time that video games were addicting. Through this, the government encouraged esport, stating that by participating in esports, players were also “training the body for China”.[72]Further, by early 2019, China recognized esports players as an official profession within the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security’s Occupation Skill Testing Authority recommendations, as well as professional gaming operators, those that distribute and manage esports games.[73] By July 2019, more than 100,000 people had registered themselves as professional gamers under this, with the Ministry stating that they anticipate over 2 million such people in this profession in five years.[74]In August 2020, Beijing announced it would convert Shougang Park, an old steel production zone, into an e-sports park.[ citation needed ]

In 2013, Canadian League of Legends player Danny “Shiphtur” Le became the first pro gamer to receive an American P-1A visa, a category designated for “Internationally Recognized Athletes”.[75][76]

In 2014, Turkey’s Ministry of Youth and Sports started issuing esports Player licenses to players certified as professionals.[77][78]

In 2016, the French government started working on a project to regulate and recognize esports.[79] The Games and Amusements Board of the Philippines started issuing athletic license to Filipino esports players who are vouched by a professional esports team in July 2017.[80][81]

To help promote esports as a legitimate sport, several esports events have been run alongside more traditional international sports competitions. The 2007 Asian Indoor Games was the first notable multi-sport competition including esports as an official medal-winning event alongside other traditional sports, and the later editions of the Asian Indoor Games and its successor the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games have always included esports as an official medal event or an exhibition event up to now. Moreover, the Asian Games, which is the Asian top-level multi-sport competition, will also include esports as a medal event at the 2022 edition; esports around games such as Hearthstone , Starcraft II , and League of Legends were presented as an exhibition event at the 2018 Asian Games as a lead-in to the 2022 games.[82][83] The 2019 Southeast Asian Games included six medal events for esports.[84]

In 2018 and 2019, World Sailing held an eSailing World Championship that showed a main sports federation embracing esports.[85] or sutin

don’t mind either way

5 Likes

Some kind of joke about eSport Spice, but someone funny can make it happen

I feel like the fact that it’s within the tight constraints of a game (as in you can’t, without glitching and I guess therefore cheating) should be a disqualifying factor to some extent. Like there’s kind of an in built cap to what you can accomplish (rather than the inherent cap that is the human condition forwardslash death).

Doesn’t really bother me though tbh, the only real difference is that I’d be even less interested in watching esports

2 Likes

As much a sport as motorsports (so yes).

Motorsports

Formula 1 = not a sport really imo

Hypothetical game that is basically polo but with cars, I.e. the sort of thing you’d get in the battle mode of Crash Team Racing = def a sport and indeed the only true sport

If you wanna be my lover
You’ve gotta grind with my clan
XP, gold, and items
Grinding never ends

Went into this feeling proper halfarsed

But I’ve actually done something that would serviceably fit in a Radio 4 sketch comedy show that has good writers and yet is still shit

3 Likes

So this:

BBC iPlayer - Rocket League - EU Spring Series

but without the e- part.

Acoustic rocket League ?

It’s not something I’d watch, but I think it’s pretty cool. Feels like more of a level playing field than conventional sports, which is great right? Bit less dependent on your physical attributes.

1 Like