Beck = back

also acknowledged classics 20 years on generally need time to get that status, as any record from this year could. I personally think Protomartyr’s will go down as a classic, but then it’s my favourite album of the year so far.

Not you personally, no, but then I think you’ve nailed why so many things gets 7s or 8s. Perhaps there were less writers reviewing more stuff in the ‘old’ days and inevitably some things just didn’t gel with them. I suppose you could argue that people know what they like, and a reviewer should consider an album in that context for the target audience. I might love a decent shoegaze record and give it an 8, but people with no interest in that sort of sound think it more of a 5 if they’re taking it out of context.

I’ve no idea what people used to do, but I’d guess that writers now are a bit better versed in a wider range of stuff because the internet has played a part in the amount of music we have access to. That and things tend to go in cycles of around 20 years (i.e we spend a lot of time just now focused on the 90s, the previous decade seemed quite influenced by 80s, 90s=70s, though I don’t think this theory goes further than that because popular music as we know it now started in late 50s/early 60s), so guys like Beck for instance is still very popular as a 90s icon.

The downside of that argument is that it can be harder for lesser known bands to get in, but I guess if they are good genre artists they can grow from that. But yeah for your example, I wasn’t that into the latest Boris album, but it’s not really “my genre” and I know plenty fans liked it. That said, there’s an argument a truly great record should transcend genres and appeal to potenially anyone

EXACTLY the same experience for me at exactly the same album for exactly the same reason (although I didn’t think much of Mutations either).

1 Like

The records quite fun but its also way too glossy and the production already feels quite dated. Up All Night and Dreams aside, sadly I’m not sure if there’s much I’ll return to on this.

Been listening to this record along with the new st Vincent on the train.
Think there are a few stand out tracks, really like the title track and think it’s pretty good fun.
Quite a few of the tracks though are not up to much.

Just given this an initial listen and I see where people are coming from. Think I’ll give it a fair chance though - when Wow came out last year I thought it was really underwhelming at first but it grew on me and it ended up being pretty much one of my favourite tracks of the year.

Bit worried about how this album came about as well - after Morning Phase he said he had a set of songs ready to go and yet he’s taken 3 years (or longer?) to release this. And given that much of it has come out in dribs and drabs I’m guessing it’s the same set of songs. I think he should have just pushed these out in a rawer form as a really fast follow up to MP. Makes me wonder if he has just had a bit of a crises of confidence and/or succumbed to a lot of pressure to get a commercial hit. Seems strange from an artist who has never seemed to lack for confidence - producing and mentoring other artists etc.

Initial impression though is that this is a really decent set of songs let down by anodyne production & a lack of cohesion.

I seem to be in the minority here but i like it. Aye its never going to be considered a classic but its just a fun pop record, and sometimes thats what you want.

It’s not like he’s an artist where there’s concerns he’ll stick with this sound I’m sure he’ll be back with something completely different next time

5 Likes

Certainly agree on that last part, not overly concerned (yet) just a little worried that he’s never sounded kinda lame/uncool before

Beck has always sounded uncool. No one blasts sexx laws or where its at thinking they’re hot shit. Unfortunately its another fine yet MOR album as with all the other post Sea Change albums

Yeah this is pretty disappointing :frowning:

I like this album.

Modern guilt is glorious

3 Likes

Okay, I’m having different thoughts upon repeat listens…

The second half of his career hasn’t been particularly kind to Beck. Don’t get me wrong, he’s still got one classic album, an early string of decent to good ones, a load of great tracks, and puts on a fun live show, but the idea of him being some kind of prodigious musical genius seems a bit silly now.

Yep, the law of diminishing returns proven once again …

Reviewed Beck’s London show for the Independent.

TL;DR - it was, like, wow.

1 Like

It was a fucking great gig, my gig of the year.

The opening to Where It’s At is well cool!

Mates, I really like it #hottake some proper bangers, was in a foul mood when I first listened to it and it proper cheered me up.

Hated Wow when I first heard it but now think it’s great.

I mean it’s gonna match up to Sea Change or Mutations but not much does.

3 Likes