Civilization with a zed

Oh… Alpha Centuri is the only time I remember playing Civ in space. Might have been Civ III if that was a thing, because I only played that a couple of times.

Is it a hot take to say that I can’t get into Civ VI at all?

Possibly thinking of Civ: Call to Power, which a sorta third party thing (licensed the name but for one game only, so the sequel was just called Call to Power 2) that came out between Civ 2 and 3.

In CTP there was an AI wonder, which in theory had a small chance of rebelling and taking half your cities and units with it. But the damn thing was bugged and would just rebel over and over again, and the only way out was to raze the city and destroy the wonder.

So many memories of launching an all-out was against everyone else, conquering a huge amount of the globe, only to collapse in ignominy as a goddamn computer burnt everything to the ground.

It’s CIV VI that helped me break the addiction, because turns take so long.

That said, I bought then completely ignored V, because I was still enjoying playing IV so much.

I dunno probably. It feels a lot like 5 to me, or at least 5 with the expansion.

I quite like it and I feel like it’s the first version I’ve played where I’m actually getting better at it the more I play. Like I said, I like being able to be left in peace if I want (I think I’ve even managed to win a game whilst friends with every other leader) and it feels as though there is a genuine difference playing as each of the leaders.

And it looks pretty when the Dutch make lots of polders.

I posted this in the gaming thread a while back but my latest stupid civ thing is naming a religion after domestic products

(Sorry for the noobie phone photos rather than screenshots)

In my current game it’s called Craft Beer.

4 Likes

I’ve converted the whole world to Biscuitism in the past and (to my shame) also Brexitism.

1 Like

Tend to favour Zoroastrianism at the moment though because I want the Freddie Mercury achievement.

Good to see V there rather than VI.

gonna start one called Peeisstoredintheballsism

2 Likes

Oh god, its less than £2 on Steam at the moment. Or £10 for the remake. Have you played that?

Couple of things to do with religion are definitely worse in 6 than 5. Religious pressure is fucking feeble; you’ve got no chance of winning without lots of active conversion. And for some reason they’ve got rid of the map option to show all cities’ religious mix, so you have to click each one in turn to see how they’re going.

Another irk I have with bombers in 6. To bomb you need to select the bomb option and then left click on the target. But I’m so used to dragging the map with a left click that what happens is I select “bomb” then left click to drag and then my bomber pillages some random tile or tries to start a war with a city state.

:open_mouth:
not yet! :thinking:

1 Like

I am generally a fairly peaceful player against the AI, so maybe I’ll give VI another go with the expansion. Pretty sure I bought the season pass version when it first came out.

We had the AGA version of Civilization for the A1200, and I played it so much.

I preferred the city building to the conquering, so my usual game on Civ 1 would be to select the real world map, then select the americans, then race to kill off the Aztecs really early on. This would give me a couple of thousand years of uninterrupted peace and prosperity across the whole of the americas (apart from the odd barbarian uprising), where I built up half a dozen cities to 40-odd population before I was ready to cross the atlantic and the pacific by plane and start picking off other cities (usually the Zulus).

I’d then hold off sending my spaceship to Alpha Centuri, and I’d keep one Zulu city alive, so that I could build up every city to its limit.

Ah yeah - knock a city down to a size of one, then surround it by tanks, playing on to max your points.

Warmongering becomes so easy if you get into the modern age with a tech lead and loads of money.

And also in the game!!

4 Likes

This is definitely a slight annoyance about 6: the absence of any points bonus for finishing early.

On the flipside it’s a definite improvement over the older versions that there’s no longer any need to completely cover the world to get a decent score. And leaving one crippled civ left is actually a bit of a risk now that they can lose loyalty and revolt, or as happened to me recently when I had left one civ precisely only half converted to my religion, they then founded one runt city which immediately converted and ended the game on the spot.

Can’t deal with how angry it makes everyone with me though :frowning:

So I have to obliterate them to make the shame go away.