Damon Albarn’s mansplaining vs Taylor Swift

After it was suggested to him that Swift is an “excellent songwriter”, he claimed that she doesn’t write her own songs.

“That doesn’t count. I know what co-writing is. Co-writing is very different to writing,” Albarn said. “I’m not hating on anybody, I’m just saying there’s a big difference between a songwriter and a songwriter who co-writes. Doesn’t mean that the outcome can’t be really great.”

He continued: “And some of the greatest singers – I mean, Ella Fitzgerald never wrote a song in her life. When I sing, I have to close my eyes and just be in there. I suppose I’m a traditionalist in that sense. A really interesting songwriter is Billie Eilish and her brother. I’m more attracted to that than to Taylor Swift. It’s just darker – less endlessly upbeat. Way more minor and odd. I think she’s exceptional.”

Damon Albarn is, and always has been, a complete prick.

34 Likes

All of Blur are just terrible people

27 Likes

There’s been some reports about Coxon lately :pensive:

Smug, entitled, white middle-class twats to a man.

2 Likes

Looking forward to Taylor coming on at Glastonbury singing ‘Parklife (Taylor’s Version)’.

12 Likes

…so she won’t be on the next Gorillaz album then?

2 Likes

Is this mansplaining? Or is this just someone being an absolute prick?

Also if I was Albarn I wouldn’t be inviting a songwriting comparison with anyone, let alone one of the best and most successful songwriters of the last 15 years. Assume he’s trying to get some attention for his latest project.

12 Likes

1 Like

It’s not the first time is it?

Not even being funny here but if there’s one fanbase you don’t want to piss off it’s Swifties. They hold a grudge and will make his life a real chore in one way or another for a long time. They are extremely, fully committed to righting any wrongs against her.

4 Likes

so what project does he have coming out, eh

that’s a whole other issue really and it’s something that Swift should make more of an effort to nip in the bud. Some of those people are scary

3 Likes

He had an album out last year which I didn’t bother listening to.

What even is this train of thought:

A really interesting songwriter is Billie Eilish and her brother. I’m more attracted to that than to Taylor Swift. It’s just darker – less endlessly upbeat. Way more minor and odd. I think she’s exceptional.”

Also isn’t he literally praising the co-writing of Eilish there?

6 Likes

Lots of good apology bits in there. Not sure about the ‘reduced to clickbait’ bit stuff though.

Have no trouble believing that Albarn was misquoted for clickbait reasons but is also still a fusty old twat tbh.

16 Likes

She even wrote the entirety of her third album, Speak Now, solo in 2010 because people were making noises like this back then.

Edit: I’m adding to this comment rather than having a go

3 Likes

Would be surprised if in this modern age there isn’t audio and possibly video of the unedited quote

1 Like