Earl the Hooded Sweater (fka Earl Sweatshirt)

Couple of new bits from him in recent weeks, bit of a departure from Doris and I Don’t Like Shit, I Don’t Go Outside but those beats are sweet. Still gutted he didn’t turn up for Field Day this year. His flow toward the end of that first verse on Grief is incredible.

1 Like

:grinning:

9 Likes

I realise I’m essentially talking to myself here but every now and again I think about this tweet and Earl’s reply and it really makes me laugh.

3 Likes

I’ll join the conversation by saying I am very, very buzzed for this album.

One of the best rappers of this generation for sure. Have liked pretty much everything he’s put out. Not massive on The Mint but will reserve judgement for the album.

3 Likes

YES hanzo! Aye quite a nice end of the year treat. Hope he tours over here, would love to see him but it’s going to be at Brixton Academy innit :unamused:

Yeah, saw him live once off the back of Doris in Glagow and he was excellent. He rapped something a capella and when folk tried to clap along he would interrupt his flow to tell them to stop clapping 2 or 3 times whilst still rapping, never missed a beat. Most impressive, boy has some skills.

There were lots of young kids there wearing OFWGKTA merch (obviously) but I often forget he was ever part of that.

2 Likes

Gig sounds boss! Yeah weird to think of him, and Frank especially, being part of OFWGKTA now.

1 Like

Can take or leave his rapping, but like his beats a lot.

Check out the EP he did with Mach Hommy a while back. Very good. (Fete Des Morts AKA Dia De Las Muertos EP)

I’m quite looking forward to this. I only actually own I Don’t Like Shit… of his work (or any Odd Future alumni tbh), and I’d be happy to take any recommendations.

Flip between I Don’t Like Shit… and Doris as to which is my favourite. Sounds obvious but start there? Think Frank’s Blond is an absolute mess but a really glorious one. Find most of Tyler’s stuff a bit hit and miss but Flower Boy is definitely his most mature record.

3 Likes

Big fan of Flower Boy actually, and both Earl albums (I just ignore your threads for jokes)

2 Likes

I keep meaning to get that new Tyler (also Wolf on the basis of really liking a few tracks that I’ve heard off it - especially ‘Awkward’).

1 Like

Don’t be sleeping on Frank though manch.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Ooft, gonna read this on my lunchbreak :+1:

:grinning:

Asked about the year in Kanye West and Eminem media gaffes, Earl offered a withering line: “You can tell who really just started using the internet.”

1 Like

It’s a great interview and I have high hopes for the album. Can’t believe it’s coming tmw after all this time! Mainly good to see him active again.

1 Like

Newish track with Alchemist

2 Likes

Love this - it’s been doing the rounds as a live video for years. I’ve already added it to the end of the album on Spotify as it makes a blinding closer.

Given the brevity of the work I’m surprised it’s not on there already. Anyway, loving the sound of this and SRS in general.