Early web based sources of musical discovery

I just remembered Iskurs Guide to Electronic Music (https://music.ishkur.com/)

Where else did you find yourself learning about and discovering new music?

I think I remember spending quite a lot of time on AllMusic.com back in the day too.

1 Like

Buying CDs for £8.99* on CDWow

* I think they were typically £13.99 or so in HMV

7 Likes

Back in the late 90s I spent a lot of time on the NME message boards, which were surprisingly good considering how far back that was. They also led to me joining a few Yahoo Groups mailing lists, where we’d swap recommendations and make each other tapes, and where I first came across a lot of bands that I’d been just a bit too young to have caught first time round (e.g. Slint, Talk Talk).

1 Like

Buddyhead, Brainwashed

1 Like

Epitonic
Vitaminic (still have a few compilations I bought off them)

Have only just discovered Allmusic in the past few years!

Holy Warbles and Ghostcapital

:frowning:

First one got shut down and lost loads of rare music

weirdly Amazon. you used to be able to make publicly viewable lists (maybe you still can?) so I’d look up an album I liked and you’d see some people’s lists it appeared in - work my way through those and investigate anything that looked interesting. Found a lot of good stuff this way.

2 Likes

Good shout. Had completely forgotten about this

1 Like

Had totally forgotten about these. Pretty sure that’s how I worked my way through the post rock family after buying a mogwai CD. Amazon used to be great for buying back catalogue/obscure stuff at a reasonable price, before it became apparent how evil they were.

Bought some absolute shit through these lists too, mind.

2 Likes

Myspace top 8’s

The Now Listening status on MSN messenger.

“What’s that song chum?”
“it’s a Kylie Minogue cover, found it on Limewire!”

1 Like

The free CD’s you used to get with Rock Sound magazine and, occasionally, Metal Hammer were my first proper source, but obviously not web based. From there, various forums (the original Funeral For A Friend forum which had very little if any discussion on the band towards the end and afterthepostrock) But then last.fm turned up in it original form (was it called audioscrobbler?) and most of my recs came from there.

1 Like

Epitonic was massive for me.

2 Likes

Oh yeah that was the one based in Jersey, wasn’t it?

One year they had a mega sale on Christmas Day, hundreds of CDs for £2.99 each. I think I bought about 25, they all turned up on the same day individually packaged. The poor postie.

1 Like

Think (though not legit in any way) that soulseek used to be good for finding stuff you’d be into.
If you added the names of bands you like into it, it would generate a ‘people with that act in their catalogue also have ____’ and would list them by popularity. Was good for discovering lots of stuff like all the E6 bands and more which werent easy to check out in a pre-streaming world.

1 Like

The Hun’s yellow pages

Largeheartedboy

We got broadband internet in 2007 and I remember the Hype Machine being useful for finding stuff and sending particular tracks to people. Also was a great way to find particular sites/blogs that served genre niches or interests. Within a year it was of course full of awful Justice knockoffs remixing buzz bands and by 2009 it was all Crookers all the time.

1 Like

That’s the one!

3 Likes

Audiogalaxy used to be really good for their similar artists feature