Floating Points

This is great:

https://youtu.be/kedLl0SrSH8

Love how they keep expanding their sound. New record is disappointingly short though.

Dunno why that first link wouldn’t embed.

Kites leading into that is a beaut as well. I do love Sam Shepherd, one smart cookie.

2 Likes

this is some proggy lovelieness. Supurb.

1 Like

The accompanying film of them recording the tracks out in the Mojave desert is great to watch, and as JI says above there’s more goodness to check out on the record too.

Out of interest, any recommendations of good prog along these lines to check out?

I’m terrible at recommending stuff but Tangerine Dream always spring to mind when I hear Floating Points.

1 Like

And this actually.

1 Like

Great, thanks Richie. I hadn’t thought about Tangerine Dream in the same light, but now you mention it I can hear it.

I’ve got two records of theirs - one (Ricochet) that I really like and is definitely in the FP vein - and the other (a best of, I think of their 80s output) which is so awful that I think put me off exploring them further. Looks like I need to hunt out more of their good (70s?) stuff.

This new track is incredible:

6 Likes

New 12" out.

4 Likes

Another great new track and some new dates announced. Looking at the Print Works site, it sounds as though they will be solo shows.

Has he played many shows in the UK with the full band? Happened to be over in the US when he and band were touring and saw them perform in DC, playing stuff off Elaenia + Kuiper. Amazing show. Had the impression that UK shows have tended to be DJ/solo shows mostly, but might be wrong there.

3 Likes

New album 18/10

3 Likes

That good, eh?

10 Likes

I’m an optimistic sort.

1 Like

I reckon I saw him do a few festivals as full band, but couldn’t get tickets for the initial show in Manchester because there were very few headline gigs as the band so they all got gobbled up instantly.

1 Like

I think they did a Warehouse Project show with the full band? Remember my pal complaining that it got too close to Pink Floyd for WHP

1 Like

2 Likes

that’s lovely. My favourite from the album so far… Have you watched the clip showing how they made the videos ? its fascinating. Think its on the facebook page.

Really looking forward to this. Hasn’t really been many electronic albums that I’ve loved so far this year. Last year there were loads of great ones.

Which ones would they be? I’d love to check them out