Headphones - Bose QuietComfort 35 Wireless

I bought these recently, first headphones with noise cancellation I’ve owned.

I’ve never owned expensive headphones before, so am not the best for comparison, but I love them and all the comments criticising them in this thread sound like they’ve been written by big babies. Massive babies with dummies in their mouths.

I paid the aud equivalent of the GBP in the op though, so a fair bit cheaper.

I’ve got the QC30 wireless noise cancelling and the QC20 noise cancelling. (The wireless ones weren’t out when I first got the QC20s).

I love them and can’t live without them to be honest. I’m on my second pair of QC20s. I lost my first pair and went out and bought another pair the next day (once I had finished crying).

The in-ear noise cancelling ones are far superior to the cans, and they’re a fuck lot cheaper now. The sound quality is really good as well, and probably worthy of the price tag. I don’t understand why anyone would want to spend mega bucks on headphones that don’t have active noise cancelling, and Bose are the undisputed leaders at the moment.

The only thing I find is that you couldn’t really take them on a night out. Sometimes I prefer taking the QC20s, because you can put them in your pocket easily enough.

I won’t hear a word against them.

Mainly because I can’t.

wear these in the bath all the time.

Bet you wish you were that cool!

I don’t consider myself an audiophile but I def have standards and enjoy dabbling in headphones/IEMs nerdery. I like the research and the pursuit of finding something of value that might make my listening experience a hair more fun or engaging. I usually buy one new set of either cans/IEMs about once a 6-9 months. I have a headphone amp. I’ve got the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX coming in the mail pretty soon that I ordered a few months back. I’ve got some Chinese Hi-fi stuff that I like just as much as way more expensive stuff I have (or have had). I have an after market stereo system in my car (v essential). Not many things in life make me happier than deep sub bass.

With Bose (and Beats) vs Audiophiles it basically comes down to value. Bose/Beats sound fine but they are overpriced. They are for sure a step above the standard but other cans in the same price bracket, and even much cheaper, outperform them in sound pretty easily. You’re paying premiums that help to fund massive marketing budgets and overhead. However, they are super comfortable and their noise cancelling features work really well. But, like with all things sound related, if you’re happy with what you have and you didn’t have to go broke getting to that point, then it doesn’t really matter what anyone else says. The normal person doesn’t really care about these pursuits, they want something that sounds good (or at least better than what they’re used to), is comfortable and trusted. And that’s just fine.

3 Likes

Kinda depends what areas are most important to you, and how much you want to spend. Audio Technica matches them with noise cancelling features but arent as durable. I bought the Audio-Technica ATHANC7 years back but dont really use them much anymore. I have better closed back headphones that do the trick of isolating enough for me. Really only use those for airplane travel now.

Depending on how much research you enjoy doing, I would suggest spending some time on the head fi forums: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Starting a new job in January which will involve more international travel so looking at getting some noise cancelling headphones too.

B&W have just brought out a pair which have been getting cracking reviews. Going to test them out soon.

Big fan of the Momentums from a comfort and sound quality perspective, although i will say that if the noise cancelling is important then Bose is the way to go.

Thinking of buying a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x - don’t suppose anyone on here has some or has tried them?

I’ve had mine for about 6 years. I still really like them, really fun to listen to. They have a V-shaped soundstage so if that’s not your thing then look elsewhere. I listen to a lot of rap/pop/rock so they work really well for me. Also note that while they are closed back, they actually leak quite a bit of sound so I can’t use them at work.

In need to some bluetooth headphones and I’m super close to getting these

Cheers man, that’s good to know. I’ll have to read up on what a V-shaped soundstage means! I would be using them on flights quite a bit, but I can get away with a bit of sound leakage there unless it’s really bad? I was considering getting some Oppo PM-3s but they’re £350, whilst I can get a pair of these for a third of that.

V shaped = emphasis on the bass and treble

these are totally fine for an airplane

1 Like

Nice one, I’m in!

He means frequency response. Soundstage is the presence of space. Ie being able to identify where the instruments are in a ‘room’.

1 Like

This is my feeling re closed back.
The price premium and inherent weirdness from noises cancelling has always put me off.

For me a pair of HD25s have always been the ultimate out and about pair. Durable enough to withstand throwing in your bag, great isolation via the clamp like grip and closed back, fantastic sound and not a price that makes you wince.

I’d like to get a pair of Momentums but I’d probably hold off for rev 3 if I go wireless.

The Momentum’s do have noise cancelling now, its done on a phone app, but it’s entirely optional and because the phone handles this it won’t drain the cans battery (though I’m sure it’ll dent yer phones a lil bit) so it’s nice to know it’s there for when you need it.

But because it’s an app it didn’t effect the price of the cans, believe they’re the same price they’ve always been, but revision 3 can’t be far away so I think you’re wise in this decision.

1 Like

Which Momentums are you talking about here? I got the 2.0s for Christmas (wireless/around ear) and the noise cancelling is built in. It kicks in when you power them up. Not as isolating as the QC35s, as some have pointed out, but decent enough.