🎵 How Good Are They Really 🎵 The Spice Girls

Just remembered one of my strongest spice girls memories

I didn’t see it at the time but when TOTP was being killed off I saw their first appearence on it, miming to Wannabe

Despite it being 2006 so a decade later, I’d still never seen anything like it. They weren’t really dancing in any kind of routine with each other, the miming was very poor and… I totally got it.

They looked like a group of teenagers dancing around in one of their bedrooms having the absolute greatest time. The lack of professionalism in terms of polish was clearly very appealing, they really did seem to have personality/be normal teenagers.

It’s really easy to dismiss them but we’re the geeks not the public. There are reasons that they became as enormous as they did even if their music is artistically worthless

A lot of their continued success was people thinking hey they’re just like me. Definitely couldn’t have gone on longer after their delayed and less good 3rd album, good job they broke up at that point as by then they were superstars and not relatable

Basically, if Oasis were a pop band they’d be the Spice Girls but Oasis are 5/5 and Spice Girls are 2/5

Maybe if Spice Girls had Liam’s voice and Noel’s tunes they’d be worth 5/5 too

Thanks for reading

1/5 for me. Obviously culturally important, but I’m judging them on the music alone, which is pure, unmitigated shite to my ears. I was 20 years old when Wannabe dropped, so I was never going to be their target audience, but my god, everything about that song is just horrendous. And nothing that followed made me revisit my opinion of them. A total “turn the radio off” act for me.

4 Likes

Wannabe is better than 99% of manufactured pop

2 Likes

I’m as big an poptimist as any but aside from 2 or 3 songs they’re truly dreadful. 2/5

Edit. 1 out of 5. They have too much shite for the likes of wannabe to rescue a point

1 Like

Loved them when i was about 8/9, used to collect photocards and was so happy when i got the one of them all on toilets (???) and my first album was from them

Their music has not aged well and i was over them ages ago, never cared about reunions and that, also their movie was horrendous

1 Like

The answer to this question is ‘better than they needed to be’

Sporty
Posh
Inger
Cary
Eaby

Doesn’t work 1/5

not voting actually bocos I was probably too young, don’t remember any of it

Sporty
Posh
Intimidating
Crimson
Early-years

?

2 Likes

You must be very young!

1 Like

:grimacing:

10 year old me got spice for Xmas, joined the fan club and carried the card around in my pocket until a bigger boy took it from me and threw it out the classroom window. He couldn’t break me though, I went home that night and listened to the spice girls extra loud. They made me who I am today.

Still given them a 1/5

7 Likes

I listened to the songs to fucking death pal, seriously. It was ridiculous.

It also felt like five years between Spice and Spiceworld, but it was apparently only fourteen months, which is just insane to my adult brain.

But yeah, absolute dogshit. 1/5 from me, fucking crap. I am only rating the music here; the cultural impact and the way they changed music must be a 5/5.

To my eternal shame I really enjoyed the movie

3 Likes

Couple of good singles but nothing more really. Not v good in terms of originality, performances, longevity, but some extremely slick marketing.

Weird - I always thought they had a list of bangers as long as my arm but looking at that poll up there they’re not exactly Girls Aloud are they? Can’t go higher than a 1 and that’s mainly for 2 Become 1 and Who Do You Think You Are.

(WHY AM I DOING THIS)

Best Mel C Single

• Goin’ Down
  • Northern Star
  • When You’re Gone (with Bryan Adams)
  • Never Be the Same Again (ft Lisa Left Eye Lopez)
  • I Turn to You
  • If That Were Me
  • Here It Comes Again
  • On the Horizon
  • Melt
  • Yeh Yeh Yeh
  • Next Best Superstar
  • Better Alone
  • First Day of My Life
  • The Moment You Believe
  • I Want Candy
  • Carolyna
  • This Time
  • Understand
  • Rock Me
  • Think About It
  • Weak
  • Let There Be Love
  • I Know Him So Well (feat Emma Bunton)
  • Loving You (with Matt Cardle)
  • Anymore
  • Dear Life
  • Hold On (feat Alex Francis)
  • Room for Love
  • High Heels

0 voters

Best Geri Single

• Look at Me
  • Mi Chico Latino
  • Lift Me Up
  • Bag It Up
  • It’s Raining Men
  • Scream If You Wanna Go Faster
  • Calling
  • Ride It
  • Desire
  • Half of Me
  • Angels in Chains

0 voters

Best Mel B single

• I Want You Back (with Missy Elliot)
  • Word Up
  • Tell Me
  • Feels So Good
  • Lullaby
  • Proper Crimbo
  • Today
  • For Once in My Life

0 voters

Best Emma Bunton single

• What I Am (feat Tin Tin Out)
  • What Took You So Long
  • Take My Breath Away
  • We’re Not Gonna Sleep Tonight
  • Free Me
  • Maybe
  • I’ll Be There
  • Crickets Sing for Anamaria
  • Downtown
  • All I need to Know
  • Baby Please Don’t Stop
  • Too Many Teardrops
  • You’re All I Needs to Get By (feat Jade Jones)
  • Coming Home for Christmas/ Santa Baby

0 voters

Best Victoria Beckham single

• Out Of Your Mind (True Steppers and Dane Bowers)
  • Not Such an Innocent Girl
  • A Mind of Its Own
  • This Groove/Let Your Head Go

0 voters

Scary Spice is pretty :grimacing: as a nickname in the first place isn’t it, though? (Apologies to Mel C)

2 Likes

Wannabe sounds horrible, doesn’t it? Wannabe always sounded horrible. I can remember first hearing it and thinking ‘that is really fucking shit’. They had some good tunes after that, but still baffles me just how big that first single was.

1 Like

Mel C had a few hits didnt she. Didn’t feel like it at the time

1 Like

Was ready to give them a 1 until I saw that list of singles and was reminded how much I love 2 Become 1.