🤼‍♂ How Good of a Wrestler Were They Really? 🤼‍♀ #16 STING 🦂

A couple of last minute votes in the bonus round save The Big Boss Man from the bottom place, which is a little harsh on Steiner imo.

Wrestler Rating
Chris Jericho (3) 4.69
Kurt Angle (2) 4.55
Mick Foley (10) 4.55
Stone Cold Steve Austin (1) 4.36
William Regal (18) 4.1
Bret Hart (9) 4.07
CM Punk (16) 3.85
Booker T (48) 3.72
Brock Lesnar (30) 3.52
Triple H (13) 3.48
John Cena (17) 3.43
Rob Van Dam (47) 3.4
Becky Lynch (28) 3.2
The Big Boss Man(36) 3.08
Scott Steiner (55) 3.08

We return to our normal schedule with the last poll’s actual winner, THE ICON, THE SCORPION, THE VIGILANTE* (not The Crow for legal reasons), THE FRANCHISE & HOGAN OF WCW

IT’S THE MAN CALLED STING

0 voters

Favourite Match/Moment:

• Sting & Rick Steiner vs Chris Adams & Sam Houston (UWF: Stockton, Mar '87)
  • Sting vs Ric Flair I (NWA World Heavyweight Title Match, Clash of Champions, Mar '88)
  • Sting & Ric Flair vs Terry Funk & The Great Muta (“Thunderdome Tag Match” NWA Halloween Havoc, Oct '89)
  • Sting vs Ric Flair II (NWA Starrcade '89)
  • ROBOCOP SAVES STING FROM THE FOUR HORSEMEN!
  • Sting vs Ric Flair III (NWA World Heavyweight Title Match, Great American Bash 1990)
  • Sting, Pillman & The Steiners vs 4 Horsemen Ric Flair, Sid Vicious, Barry Windham, Larry Zbyszko (WarGames match, WCW WrestleWar '91)
  • Sting & Luger vs The Steiners (WCW Tag Team Title Match, SuperBrawl I '91)
  • Sting & The Great Muta vs The Steiners (WCW/NJPW Supershow II, Jan '92)
  • Sting, Barry Windham, Dustin Rhodes, Nikita Koloff & Ricky Steamboat vs Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton, Larry Zybszko, Rick Rude & Steve Austin (WarGames, WrestleWar '92)
  • Sting vs Cactus Jack (WCW Beach Blast '92)
  • Sting vs Big Van Vader I (WCW Heavyweight Title Match, Great American Bash '92)
  • Sting vs Big Van Vader II (WCW Starrcade '92)
  • Sting vs Big Van Vader III (Strap Match, WCW SuperBrawl III '93)
  • Sting, Brian Pillman & Dustin Rhodes vs Paul Orndoff, Rick Rude & Steve Austin (Thundercage 6-man Tag, WCW SuperBrawl IV, '94)
  • Sting vs Antonio Inoki (NJPW Battle 7, Jan 4th '95)
  • Sting & Booker T vs The Road Warriors (Chicago Street Fight, WCW Uncensored '96)
  • Sting vs The Giant (WCW Heavyweight Title Match, Slamboree '96)
  • Sting vs Lord Steven Regal (WCW Great American Bash, '96)
  • “Crow” Sting vs Hollywood Hulk Hogan (WCW Heavyweight Title Match, Starrcade '97)
  • Wolfpac Sting & Kevin Nash vs nWo Scott Hall & The Giant (WCW Tag Titles, Nitro Jul '98)
  • Sting vs Bret Hart (WCW U.S Title match, Halloween Havoc '98)
  • Sting vs DDP (WCW Heavyweight Title Match, Nitro Apr '99)
  • Sting vs Scott Steiner (WCW U.S Title Match, Spring Stampede 2000)
  • Sting vs Vampiro (Spring Stampede 2000)
  • Sting vs Booker T (Spring Stampede 2000)
  • Sting vs Ric Flair (Final Nitro, Mar 2001)
  • Sting & Jeff Jarrett vs AJ Styles & Sean “Syxx-Pac” Waltman (NWA/TNA First Anniversary show, Jun '03)
  • Sting, Jeff Jarrett, Kurt Angle, Rhyno & Samoa Joe vs A.J Styles, Abyss, Christian Cage, Scott Steiner & Tomko (Lethal Lockdown 10-man Tag, TNA Lockdown '07)
  • Sting vs Jeff “wasted” Hardy (TNA World Heavyweight Title Match, Victory Road 2011)
  • Sting arrives in WWE saving Dolph Ziggler from The Authority (WWE Survivor Series 2014)
  • Sting vs Triple H (Wrestlemania 31)
  • Sting vs Seth Rollins (WWE World Heavyweight Title “retirement” Match, Night of Champions 2015)

0 voters

I had a recent request to give some context on some particularly notable matches the other day, so here, if you’ve never seen Sting vs Ric Flair for the NWA Title in 1988 then stop what you are doing and do it now:

Sting was still in his rookie year here, Ric was the guy who brought Sting into company, saw his potential and promise, and was determined to have one of the greatest matches of all time with him, so he did, just to put Sting over as the new main event threat. All three of their matches in this trilogy are amazing, but the first one is incredible. It has a slow build but once it gets going they do some really awesome stuff.

They’re both fives, obviously.

1 Like

Also, I know Sting’s brief run in WWE was a bit silly, but this is one of the loudest pops ever and I kinda loved this moment/match:

1 Like

I think overall a 4, but that may be slightly generous. Undoubtedly a charismatic performer, and a great athlete with lots of longevity, but a lot of duds towards the end and not that hot with the promos. Crow character is an all time great bit of business imho but wcw borked it like they borked everything eventually. As Severed’s pointed out his work in the nwa to begin with was really standout stuff, and I do think some of his tna work was passable. The less said about the wwe run the better.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I’m seeing double, 4 stings!

5 Likes

The man called Steve!

3 Likes

Only thing I rrally have seen from him is his facepaint coming off all the time

2 Likes

I never ‘got’ Sting
Clearly a great wrestler and apparently a fairly nice guy who would bend over backward to help the business. Never clicked with me in either Surfer/Crow/Joker personas

4. love the stinger, his rivalry with vader is one of my all time favourites. up there with foley in the “actually a really nice guy” stakes as well.

did that bret hart thing where he tried to have a competitive match with everyone in order to help get guys over. remember there’s an early nitro where he has a match with malenko where he makes dean look really good even though he ultimately loses. you know that hogan / nash / whoever else wouldn’t have sold for malenko, but here’s sting getting german suplexed across the ring and making him look like a star.

the build to sting vs hogan is one of the best of all time, such a shame wcw managed to wcw it up so badly. I know sting wasn’t in the best place at the time but still, all that match needed to be was a couple of splashes and then the deathlock, no need for any of the fast count bollocks.

love this match

think the story was that they mistimed the show or something so had longer than planned, so they spent the extra time doing loads of mad piledrivers and powerbombs, great stuff.

also, apparently he owns the trademark to the sting name but lets other sting use it for free.

1 Like

Sting going to wwe in 2002/3

• Good idea, would have had a great decade
  • Bad idea, would have got the Steiner/Goldberg treatment

0 voters

Got this image of Sting charging into people ala Stasiak

1 Like

pals with taker innit, so probably would’ve got treated better than those guys

4 Likes

Pals with Taker you say?

Feel like at that time which show he’d end up on would’ve had the biggest effect, on Raw he’d have undoubtedly been shoehorned in against Flair and Trips and likely made to job out, on Smackdown he’d be in the mix with Angle, Brock and Taker and probably have a much better time of it.

1 Like

sure, but they shit the bed because at the end of the day, they’re still just adam bomb and crush. you’d have to think sting would make more of his opportunity

2 Likes

in 2002/3 Raw had goldberg, the rock shawn michaels, trips, kevin nash, jericho, booker, rvd, steiner, kane, and Austin and Bischoff hoovering up a lot of tv time. It’s not surprising how many people got lost in that shuffle. STACKED.

3 Likes

Sting me once shame on you,
Sting me twice… errr you don’t get sting-Ed again!

2 Likes