📺 How Good was it Really?: Friday Night Lights 📺

First up, the results of our Partridge megathread… back of the net, we’ve got a new leader.

Show Rating
I’m Alan Partridge 4.79
The Wire 4.75
Seinfeld 4.09
The Office UK 4.07
Breaking Bad 4.01
Fawlty Towers 3.89
Knowing Me, Knowing You 3.84
Mid Morning Matters 3.80
The League of Gentlemen 3.64
The Office US 3.48
The X-Files 3.19
Malcolm in the Middles 3.18
Psychoville 3.01
Mr. Bean 2.94
Only Fools and Horses 2.94
Lost 2.39
Goodnight Sweetheart 2.11

Didn’t expect the Wire’s reign to be that short.

The other Partridge polls:

I, Partridge 4.74
Scissored Isle 4.16
Welcome to the Places of My Life 4.08
Nomad 4.08
Alpha Papa 3.73
Open Books 3.35

On to business.

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

LANCE! TIM RIGGINS! COACH! THE EPISODE WITH MATT SARACEN’S DAD!

CLEAR EYES
FULL HEARTS
CAN’T LOSE

(in case you can’t tell, I really like Friday Night Lights)

0 voters
1 Like

1/5

(not seen)

3 Likes

Thought the film was duff. Might stick the book on my list.

Best thing about the show:

• Lance
  • Tami Taylor’s hair
  • How season 2 doesn’t exist
  • Kyle Chandler

0 voters

I’ve never cared so much about fictional people. I think I felt proper real life loss when I knew it was nearly over and I cried non stop through the last few episodes. I might have been ‘going through something’ at time tbh but I’ve not seen anything that looks at the opportunities available for working class kids in the same way so it gets to me.

9 Likes

I watched the entire run in ten days, bunking off work because I was depressed. I was mortally sad when I finished it and didn’t know what to do with myself (ended up watching Parenthood, which has its moments, mainly Ray Romano).

And I almost quit it in the first episode because it seemed like your typical cheesy American high school drama. Which is KINDA is but it’s also so much more.

I like this idea for a series of threads by the way

1 Like

Friday Night Lights was the best, we are all voting 5/5 I presume. Good.

15 Likes

Brilliant show, yes season 2 (especially THAT plotline) is a bit ropey in part because of the writers strike at the time curtailing it but it doesn’t matter because everything else is so great. Coach and Tami are the best TV couple ever, Matt Saracen is the most endearingly dorky QB ever (it’s mad that Zach Gilford hasn’t had much of a career since this show) and Jesse Plemons is as good in this as he’s been in everything else since.

8 Likes

Watch it. Watch it NOW.

1 Like

Ive seen the film, should I still watch the series?

No idea

yes it is 1000000 times better

8 Likes

The good bits are good but the bad bits are truly terrible (Landry and the lesbian! Julie and the college tutor! The Matt Saracen art barn!) and the last series dragggggs. Enjoyed it but can’t ever imagine sitting through it again.

Also the idea that half of the cast were supposed to be teenagers. The guy who played Tim Riggins was 27 when it started…

Love the book. Love the film. Never seen the TV show.

3 Likes

Riggins!

RTF. I won’t be voting as I’ve not seen it.

Can you enjoy this if you’ve got absolutely no interest in sport, if-we-all-pull-together team spirit or frat-boy antics?

Also, good work, Partridge. :+1:

I think so

1 Like