New Big Thief

Agree that new album sounded really promising, much more guitar heavy and had a really strong second half. Interesting that they suggested after that the plan was always to do two albums with the songs they had, which also suggests that this will be the rocky twin of UFOF

Not was absolutely stunning!

1 Like

I’ve been banging on about them to my friends on FB to the sound of cricket infested tumbleweed for months now.

Shared this review last night and pulled out the “one of the truly most talented acts of our current times on the cusp of an explosion” line for emphasis and now suddenly every fucker wants a piece of my Big Thief playlist. Good job!

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing that, it means a lot to know I’m not just shouting into a vacuum all the time

Didn’t rate matey’s solo material for the support

I know this is slightly wanky but it’s kind of at my own expense so give me a break: I’ve had Two Hands sitting in my inbox for a week and I only just noticed :sweat_smile: will report back asap

4 Likes

11th October seems a long way away. I’ve been a convert to the band on the back of UFOF although I listened to it again recently and realised I enjoy the first half a lot more than the second.

Not is great, though. Massive Neil Young vibes in the solo and I love that kind of back-beat drumming and stuff, so I’d be made up if Two Hands is all in the same mould.

2 Likes

^this

1 Like

One listen down (of I assume many today as I’m travelling to Dusseldorf) and just, yep. They’re the fucking best band in the game right now.

5 Likes

the new album could just be ‘Not’ plus nine tracks of Adrienne trying and failing to play ‘Happy Birthday’ on a cracked plastic kazoo and it would still be an album of the year contender cos it has ‘Not’ on it.

2 Likes

Was please to pick up a copy of Capacity on CD for £11 at Cambridge Fopp at the weekend. It’s not that reasonable at online retailers!

On my fourth listen now and If you can imagine it being possible, ‘Not’ is even better in the context of the album because it’s surrounded by two also excellent tracks ‘shoulders’ and ‘wolf’ complete a pretty incredible three track run.

Also, this is the first one without a person’s name as a track title… Unless she’s calling someone Wolf of course

1 Like

Killing me here

Shoulders has been a staple of their I’ve shows for a while now:

1 Like