New releases 13/10

What are folk thinking of new Corgan?I think it’s really strong. I know it was produced by Rick Rubin and For some reason I’m drawing a lot of parallels with the records Cash did with Rubin at the end of his career. Think they work well together and the song writing is really strong. Benefits from the more stripped down instrumentation

Im going to give it a couple more listens but I find it all pretty uninteresting so far. Just rather simple guitar strumming and the same Billy Corgan synth strings that I’ve heard for the past 20 years. It sort of reminds me of the softer moments in Infinite Sadness and the are a few moments that I felt were pretty strong toward the end mind.

Thought Antietham was pretty good mind

I agree with you, I’m really liking it so far and it’s getting significantly better with each listen. The melodies are strong, the emotion is there, and it feels like there’s less of a wall up between him and the music - I liked Monuments for what it was, but there was a certain distanced feeling in it that I’m not used to from him (and that feeling was certainly exacerbated by the uncharacteristically impersonal lyrics). He’s using his new voice, which is a lightning rod for criticism typically, but honestly I think it sounds great here.

I’m really, really glad to see it getting a positive reception, even in places that are typically foaming at the mouth to rip him apart - combining that with how positive he’s been sounding the past few months, I think we’re going to be getting lots of great music from him in the future.

1 Like

Happily, Pitchfork gives Murderburgers 6.4. What better recommendation is there?

Hey guys !
really happy to become a part of the conversation.
There is a very new band who I have become aware o,f and I’d love to hear other peoples opinions on them.
Hope this is relevant !
here is the link :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvKtXIriubE&feature=youtu.be

It’s a pleasant enough record but it’s certainly not going to change anyone’s life. It really misses the spark and wit of Courtney’s solo records.

Been feeling conflicted by this as I’m a big fan of Courtney but not at all of KV - guess I should give it a chance but feeling like I might just skip it.

1 Like

Murderburgers were great live! Will check out the record!

I bought it out of loyalty to CB but I probably should have stuck to a couple of streaming listens.

I don’t mind KV but everything he does dissolves to the same pleasant stoned chug and the same thing happens on this record. There are some good songs on it and their voices sound really nice together. There are some great musicians on it - Jim White and Mick Turner from Dirty Three on a lot of tracks and Mick Harvey on one - but there’s a feel of everyone coasting along and having a good time rather than trying anything adventurous. It would have been more interesting if they’d written some songs together.

Here’s hoping for another proper CB album.

I was thinking about a band called murderburgers oops

Really wanted to hate this as it’s such an explicit JAG what with you being their manager

BUT

This is a good song, I like it.

I did not intend to be so socially inept. Simply wanted some feedback, and did not wish to marr it with who I was, however quite clearly I mistakenly did the opposite. Appologies, but thank you for your thoughts !

Yeah. Well, it doesn’t flatter Kurt Vile much either.

I think it might have made a better EP. However, the first two songs I would leave off are the two they picked for singles.

I think it’s too often an example of artists who are really let do what they want, creatively, by their label, which is normally a good thing, but the two of them also happen to be blindingly enamored with one another. Three artists blindingly enamored, if you count Jen. A lot of what they’ve done this time around is basically insufferably cute. Listening to the record is a little like spending too much time around a new couple who are constantly sitting in each other’s laps.

The Kurt Vile and Courtney Barnett record is a real grower. Wasn’t sure at first but I keep getting sucked back in.

Personally I don’t find the record that saccharine. It’s hardly a She & Him album…

KV & CB is just self indulgent nonsense

New Beck is also fucking great.

Don’t disagree with much of that, although I quite like the two singles. There’s no excuse for Blue Cheese - the most cringeworthy cuteness on the record. The best thing on the album is (ironically) Courtney’s solo cover of Peeping Tom.

I read somewhere that she is struggling to write new songs, which if it is true goes a long way to explaining the existence of this record.

1 Like

I think I’ve read in the past that she always takes a long time to write lyrics she’s happy with and generally puts herself through long periods of self doubt about her new songs.
I’m not really against stop gap albums - covers, collaborations etc. I’m sure it is all helpful to the creative process.